How are compensation payments for personal injury made?
If you have been involved in an accident whereby someone else was to blame and resulted in injuries requiring medical attention, you may be able to make a claim for compensation. As long as your accident happened within the past three years, then you should be entitled to receive a monetary amount to compensate for the incident.
Compensation payments for personal injury are made to those individuals who are eligible, and take into account the following considerations in order to reach a settlement figure:
- Your injury type and severity. For example, spinal injuries resulting in paralysis will receive a higher compensation amount than a minor sprain, as the injury is more severe and the impact upon that individual’s life will be much greater.
- Loss of earnings. If you are unable to work for a period of time – whether short-term, long-term or even permanently, then this will be taken into consideration. Future promotions, pension contributions and pay rises may all be accounted for.
- Expenses related to your injury. This may include bills for medication, specialist treatment and care costs – even if your care is carried out by family or friends. Costs such as necessary modifications to your home (for example, disabled access), and equipment (such as a wheelchair) will also be considered.
What accident types may be eligible for compensation?
Some examples of accidents that may result in compensation payments for personal injury include:
- Road traffic accidents, whether you were a driver, passenger, cyclist, motorcyclist or pedestrian
- Accidents at work, including industrial deafness, repetitive strain injury, vibration white finger and construction accidents
- Slips, trips and falls, including those that have happened in public places
No matter what accident type you have suffered, if you are eligible to compensation payments for personal injury, you should pursue your right as soon as possible.
How to make a claim
Making a claim for compensation need not be a complex process. At the Accident Advice Helpline, we ensure that the experience is as straightforward as possible – using over ten years of experience in the industry to streamline the process for the benefit of you as the claimant.
Our professional and friendly advisors understand that involvement in an accident is an extremely stressful experience, and will handle your claim with understanding. Guided at every step of the way, you will be supported throughout and will likely be able to make your claim entirely via the telephone – meaning you can do so from the comfort of your own home.
To make a claim, simply get in touch with via our 24 hour advice line on 0800 180 4123, or alternatively fill out our short online claim form and await a call back from one of our advisors. All cases are handled on a no win no fee* basis by an independent legal team with expertise in your specific injury type.
Date Published: 26th February 2013
Author: Rebecca Smith
Category: Personal injury claims