The compensation lawyers in Sheffield at Accident Advice Helpline offer legal support and advice to the many victims of accidents in the Sheffield area every year.
Supporting Sheffield victims
The expert team of compensation lawyers in Sheffield at Accident Advice Helpline was set up specifically to help people who have been injured in accidents that were not their own fault.
A large proportion of these accidents happened at work, so the injured worker is claiming compensation from the employer who is at fault for the accident. In practice, many of these claims are paid out of employer’s liability insurance.
Simple steps to avoid injury
Many injuries would never have happened if the employer had taken appropriate steps to stop the floor surface from becoming contaminated and becoming slippery. There are countless ways in which an employer can achieve this and some are listed here:
- The entrance to the workplace is a very common area to become slippery, because people are walking in with wet shoes, coats, etc. This is likely to happen when it is raining, which in the UK is quite a lot of the time. Therefore, this hazard needs to be taken seriously. The remedy is surprisingly simple – use appropriate matting at all entrances. The matting has to be non-slip so that is does not present a slip hazard itself and should be inspected frequently for signs of wear. It also has to be kept clean.
- Leaks are another very common cause of slippery floors. Buildings can leak if they are not watertight; regular inspections of the fabric of the building will pinpoint any potential problem areas. If employees spot a leak, they should be trained to report it immediately and remedial action should be promptly taken. Some equipment such as boilers, radiators, condensers and so on can also be the source of a leak. To prevent this from happening, all equipment must be in good working order and must be well-maintained. Faults should be immediately reported and quickly rectified.
- Spillages are inevitable in some work environments, but they can be made less likely to occur. For example, in the catering environment the workplace can be designed so that pots of liquid do not have to be carried long distances. Lids can also be fitted to prevent the liquid contents slopping over the sides of containers.
- If slippages are inevitable, then it may be necessary to limit the number of people who have to walk near them. Routes can be planned which do not pass by areas where spillages are likely to happen, and this can be achieved by reorganising the workplace.
- Cleaning is a key factor in preventing slips on slippery floors. The time of day, frequency and materials used are vitally important in making sure that the floor surface remains safe to walk on. Some cleaning products can present a slip hazard themselves and warning signs will be needed.
Need specialist compensation lawyers In Sheffield? Get in touch with Accident Advice Helpline now
With over 16 years’ experience with all types of personal injury compensation claims, our specialist compensation lawyers In Sheffield will take on your claim on a no-win, no-fee* basis and fight tirelessly not only to win your claim but also to secure on your behalf the maximum compensation you are rightfully entitled to.Open Claim Calculator
We offer a free, no-obligation initial consultation where our experienced and highly trained call center operatives will discuss your claim with you and advise you on the best course of action to take. To learn more, give us a call now on 0800 689 0500 from a landline or 0333 500 0993 from your mobile phone.