Manual Handling Injury Compensation Claim in Sussex
Have you been injured lifting, lowering, carrying, pushing, or pulling an object – or even lifting a patient? Manual handling accidents are one of the most common causes of injury at work. In fact, in 2011/12 there were over 30,000 manual handling injuries to employees.
Types of Manual Handling Injuries
There are many different kinds of manual handling injury. Workers exposed to heavy loads are especially at risk of manual handling injuries. Some of the most common injuries are:
- Musculoskeletal injuries, for example, back injuries
- Cuts and bruises.
The industries most at risk of manual handling injuries
Manual handling injuries can occur in any job, but are more common in some industries than they are in others, such as:
- Health and Social Care, for example, nurses and care assistants
- Transportation and Storage, for example, heavy goods vehicle drivers
Your Employer has a duty to protect you from Manual Handling Injuries
The Manual Handling Operations Regulations 1992 (amended in 2002) are designed to safeguard employees from Manual Handling injuries. Employers are required to carry out risk assessments and take steps to protect workers from the risks of manual handling. Some examples of what your employer could do to ensure you are protected from manual handling injuries include:
- Carry out a risk assessment
- Find other ways to do the task, for example, use a trolley or lift instead
- Provide regular breaks to workers
- Organise tasks in a safe way, for example, make the loads smaller or share tasks
- Provide information and training to employees
- Train employees on how to use equipment
- Train employees about correct handling techniques.
Has your employer’s negligence caused your injury? If so, your compensation claim in Sussex has a strong chance of a successful outcome.Open Claim Calculator
If you’ve been injured lifting boxes, handling heavy items, pushing carts, handling patients, or in any other way, call Accident Advice Helpline today on 0800 180 4123. Our team of experienced legal advisors and professional manual handling injury lawyers aim to make sure you receive the maximum amount of compensation due to you. Call today to speak to a friendly advisor to start your compensation claim in Sussex.
Take the 30-second test! Find out quickly how much your manual handling injury compensation claim in Sussex could be worth.