Claiming Accident Abroad Compensation


How to go about claiming accident abroad compensation?

Before setting off on any trip abroad, whether for leisure or business, make sure you have adequate insurance for your trip. Different rules apply according to whether you are travelling by boat, train, plane or driving your own vehicle.

Claiming accident abroad compensation for road traffic accidents

The type of insurance cover varies depending on which country you are travelling to. A driver taking any vehicle overseas needs to apply to his insurance company for a Green Card, which gives insurance cover outside the UK. Some general rules under the EU apply but it is important to tell your insurance company in advance which countries you plan to visit.

Speak my language

For example, if local country laws apply in the event of an accident abroad, compensation could depend on following the correct legal procedure, such as providing translations on the local language and so on.

Should you have an accident abroad and need to find out about compensation after you have returned to the UK, you may find you require a solicitor who is familiar not only with the law of that country but also with the local language. Speak to Accident Advice Helpline to find out more. You can contact us on 0800 689 0500 or on 0333 500 0993 from your mobile.

Green is go

Remember to keep the Green Card and emergency number of your insurance company in the vehicle with you before you set off.

Some package this turned out to be

If your accident abroad compensation is for a mishap on a package holiday or other arrangements made online or through a travel agent, you will need to check what type of insurance cover they have and what you can claim under it. Ideally, you should ask these questions at the time of booking, and if you feel the insurance cover is not adequate for your needs you have an opportunity to take out more. Either way, if you have returned to the UK or whether you are still at the resort, you can reach us on the 24/7 helpline (numbers above) and our experts will advise you, or you can start your claim on the website.

Be careful when booking through online travel sites. They are not all the same. Those that act as a referral agency do not necessarily give insurance cover, because they are only the referrer. You need to check with the travel agent or service provider and ask exactly what their insurance covers. If in any doubt, take out a personal policy.

Need more information on claiming accident abroad compensation? Call us now on 0800 689 0500 or 0333 500 0993.

  • Was this Helpful ?
  • Yes   No

How much you could claim?

Two QUICK ways to find:
  1. Call us at 0800 689 0500 or 0333 500 0993 from your mobile OR
  2. Use our Claim Calculator

Disclaimer: This website contains content contributed by third parties, therefore any opinions, comments or other information expressed on this site that do not relate to the business of AAHDL or its associated companies should be understood as neither being held or endorsed by this business.

Claim Calculator
Find out in 30 seconds how much YOU could claim...
  • Please tell us where you were injured
  • Please enter your full name
  • Please enter a valid name
  • Please enter your telephone number
  • Please enter a valid telephone number
  • Terms and Conditions*Required

Can I Claim?

Esther says "The law states that if you’ve been injured and someone else is to blame, you are entitled to compensation." Read more >

Claim Calculator ► Accident Types ►

How Much Could I Claim?

It only takes 30 seconds to find out how much compensation you could receive. Take the 30 second test now.>

30 Second test ► Claim Form ►

Why Choose Us?

"When they say they are 100% no-win, no-fee*, they mean it. I would recommend Accident Advice Helpline to anybody." Read more >

No-Win, No-Fee*? ► Testimonials ►

Claim Now

"They were ever so professional ... they knew exactly what I was going through ... I received over £4500." Read more >

Claim Form ► Call Me Back ►
Is there anything wrong with this page? ( Help us Improve )