How much could you claim?

Find out in 30 seconds...
Injured in the last 3 years?
Was the accident your fault?
Did you recieve medical attention?
Please tell us where you were injured
  • Please enter your full name
  • Please enter a valid name
  • Please enter your telephone number
  • Please enter a valid telephone number
  • Please read our Terms & Conditions

    "If you've been injured through no fault of your own you could be entitled to compensation. If you're unsure if you could claim, I recommend you call Accident Advice Helpline."

    Esther Rantzen

    Chemical injury claims

    Need to claim for a chemical injury?

    If you are wondering how you could sustain a chemical injury burn, they are a more common injury than you might think. A chemical burn occurs when skin, organs or eyes come into contact with an irritant such as acid or a base. Burns caused by chemicals can happen any place where chemicals are being handled such as in the workplace, a laboratory, at school or university. In fact, you probably have plenty of chemicals stashed around the home which could cause burns, including cleaning products. If you have been injured, you’ll be pleased to know that chemical injury claims are not uncommon, and this is something that Accident Advice Helpline can help you with. Common products which can cause chemical burns include:

    • Car battery acid
    • Bleach
    • Ammonia
    • Denture cleaners
    • Teeth whitening products
    • Hair colouring products
    • Fertilisers
    • Pool or spa bath chlorination products
    • Cleaning products

    Depending upon the severity of your chemical burn anything from a course of antibiotics to a skin graft can be required. Of course, prevention is always the best medicine and carrying out risk assessments at work can help to prevent accidents from happening. Chemicals should always be kept in a safe place, away from young children, and secured in containers that are tamper-proof, to prevent spillages.

    Preventing a chemical injury

    Steps to prevent a chemical injury include:

    • Secure all chemicals safely
    • Keep chemicals out of reach of children
    • Read the directions thoroughly before using
    • Follow the directions carefully and to the letter
    • Wear the appropriate protective clothing such as gloves, safety glasses or nose mask
    • Treat chemicals with respect and due care

    If you are working in a role which requires you to handle hazardous chemicals, your employer should take steps to ensure your safety. If they fail to do so, and you are injured as a result, you could find yourself in line to make a personal injury claim.

    Your employer’s responsibilities

    Chemical injury claims are possible if your employer has been negligent and you have suffered a chemical burn or skin condition as a result of coming into contact with hazardous chemicals at work. Whether you work in a warehouse, a factory, a lab or an agricultural setting, your employer should ensure that you’re aware of hazardous substances and that they are stored correctly in clearly labelled, secure containers. There should be a procedure in place for handling these substances, and protective equipment such as gloves and face masks should be worn as required. The Control of Substances Hazardous to Health Regulations 2002 outlines responsibilities for employers and must be followed at all times.

    Open Claim Calculator

    Should you be injured and feel that your employer has breached these regulations, you could report them to the HSE, who may carry out an investigation into your accident and what has happened. It’s important that employers carry out risk assessments if you are working with hazardous substances, and HSE provides a step-by-step guide for how to carry out such an assessment, so there are no excuses.

    Injuries caused by hazardous chemicals

    So what are some of the most common injuries that we have handled chemical injury claims for? Well, here are a few examples:

    • Chemical burns to the skin
    • Eye injuries which could result in temporary or permanent loss of vision
    • Skin conditions, such as contact dermatitis
    • Throat and mouth injuries, if harmful chemicals are swallowed
    • Respiratory conditions such as occupational asthma, if harmful vapours are inhaled
    • More serious conditions such as asbestosis or cancer from regular contact with hazardous substances

    If you have suffered an injury at work then it’s important to let your employer know so that they can record it in their accident book. Seeking medical treatment for your injuries is also important, as you’ll need to show evidence of medical treatment in order to make a personal injury claim. Treatment for chemical injuries could range from prescription cream for minor chemical burns through to surgery for serious injuries, and the length of time you will take to recover from your injuries will obviously depend on their severity. This is something we’ll take into account when you make a claim with us.

    Get started with a claim

    If you are wondering how to claim for a chemical injury, your best option is to contact Accident Advice Helpline. We do our best to ensure that all victims of negligence are properly compensated. If you have had treatment for a chemical injury that was caused during an accident that was not your fault you could be due a compensation award. To find out if you are entitled to seek financial compensation after your accident at work, you can take the 30-second test on our website. Our quick and easy online questionnaire provides you with an accurate answer and a guideline estimate of the value of compensation you could be awarded, if your claim is successfully upheld.

    Three years to claim

    All claims must be made within a strict three-year deadline. After this cut-off date even genuine claims become invalidated. Don’t waste valuable time worrying about the cost of claiming for a chemical injury. If you have a viable claim then Accident Advice Helpline will be pleased to help you, and our specialist personal injury lawyers work on a 100% no-win, no-fee* basis. We offer all victims of negligence the following comprehensive package of support and assistance:

    • Freephone helpline (when you call us from a landline)
    • Free expert legal advice
    • No upfront costs to pay
    • Fast awards
    • Access to specialist 100% no-win, no-fee* injury lawyers

    Our claims advisors are knowledgeable, friendly and sympathetic. What’s more, we offer confidential, no-obligation advice, so you can get in touch with us to ask us any questions you have about the claims process or get advice relating to your accident, without feeling pressured into proceeding with a claim at any point. Our team has over 16 years’ experience specialising in personal injury claims, and we’re here to make sure that you don’t have to suffer in silence. Contact us today to find out more about claiming compensation for a chemical injury and we will help you to get the compensation you are entitled to. You can get in touch with us by calling 0800 689 0500 or 0333 500 0993 from a mobile.

    Date Published: 7th August 2016

    Author: Rebecca Smith

    Category: Chemical injury claims

    Accident Advice Helpline (or AAH) is a trading style of Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited. Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with registration number 07931918, VAT 142 8192 16, registered office Dempster Building, Atlantic Way, Brunswick Business Park, Liverpool, L3 4UU and is an approved Alternative Business Structure authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority with licence number 591058 and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

    Disclaimer: This website contains content contributed by third parties, therefore any opinions, comments or other information expressed on this site that do not relate to the business of AAHDL or its associated companies should be understood as neither being held or endorsed by this business.

    No-Win No-Fee: *Subject to insurance costs. Fee payable if case not pursued at client's request.