How much could you claim?

Find out in 30 seconds...
Injured in the last 3 years?
Was the accident your fault?
Did you recieve medical attention?
Please tell us where you were injured
  • Please enter your full name
  • Please enter a valid name
  • Please enter your telephone number
  • Please enter a valid telephone number
  • Please read our Terms & Conditions

    "If you've been injured through no fault of your own you could be entitled to compensation. If you're unsure if you could claim, I recommend you call Accident Advice Helpline."

    Esther Rantzen

    Car insurance

    What do I need to know about car insurance when making a compensation claim?

    Car accidents are common, they can cause serious damage and can result in severe injuries that may be very costly for the victims of the accidents. There are laws in the UK and Europe that take this into account and allow for compensation to be recovered for incurring these costs if you are not at fault for the accident. The law prescribes that anyone who is in control of a vehicle on a public highway or road must have a valid motor vehicle insurance policy which can satisfy any compensation claims from innocent victims of car accidents.

    This type of vehicle insurance is called third party liability insurance and in this context the third party is the accident victim because the two main parties involved are the party that caused the accident and their insurance company. You are merely involved in this compensation claim by chance. The third party in the claim who was an innocent victim does not have to be a driver of a vehicle and it can be a pedestrian who was injured in the accident. Although the same conditions for eligibility apply to pedestrians and the this party must be not responsible for the accident in any way, shape or form.

    In a standard claim case, the insurance company for the driver who was at-fault for the accident will pay the compensation to victims of the accident for their injuries. However, when you are making a claim as the innocent victim then the party you have to claim against is the at-fault driver and not their car insurance company. Once the compensation claim has been made against the at-fault driver then they will pass the claim onto their insurance company who will then handle the claim process for them. The technical term for the insurance company paying the compensation amount to an innocent victim for the mistakes of the insured driver is called “indemnifying”.

    In the event that the at-fault driver does not have an insurance policy for their vehicle then you can still claim compensation against the driver. The Motor Insurers Bureau will act as the insurance company in these type of cases for when the driver was, for some reason or another unable to be contacted.

    Do I make my claim against the driver or their car insurance company?

    Car insurance companies can be the subject of your compensation claim if you are injured in a car accident, you can make a claim by contacting Accident Advice Helpline on 0800 689 0500 / 0333 500 0993.

    Open Claim Calculator

    Accident Advice Helpline are experienced in making compensation claims against car insurance companies, call or text them on the relevant phone number to make a claim.

    Date Published: 14th June 2014

    Author: David Brown

    Accident Advice Helpline (or AAH) is a trading style of Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited. Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with registration number 07931918, VAT 142 8192 16, registered office Dempster Building, Atlantic Way, Brunswick Business Park, Liverpool, L3 4UU and is an approved Alternative Business Structure authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority with licence number 591058 and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

    Disclaimer: This website contains content contributed by third parties, therefore any opinions, comments or other information expressed on this site that do not relate to the business of AAHDL or its associated companies should be understood as neither being held or endorsed by this business.

    No-Win No-Fee: *Subject to insurance costs. Fee payable if case not pursued at client's request.