The car crash was my fault, who has to be informed?


The car crash was my fault, who has to be informed?

If you have been in a car crash then it can be difficult to know what to do, especially if you have sustained any injuries and there has been substantial vehicle damage. According to the Road Traffic Act 1988, if you are in a car accident and you are one of the drivers then you need to stay at the scene of the crash for a reasonable length of time. Details should be exchanged with other drivers involved in the car accident if they have reasonable grounds to ask for them and the details include things such as a name, address and vehicle registration number.

Generally you should report the car crash to the police if: anyone has been injured, any property or vehicles have been damaged, an animal has been injured in the crash or if any road furniture has sustained damage. It is always best to report an incident than not report it as you can be charged with leaving the scene of an accident if you don’t report the car crash and incur severe penalties.

A good tip if you are in a car crash and have the ability to do so is to take photographs of the crash scene and the vehicle damage. Also, photographs of skid marks, speed limit signs and other traffic control devices should be taken. Photos such as these can be important in determining who was the cause of the crash and can significantly influence your eligibility for and the amount you could receive for a compensation claim.

Another tip is to make sure that in addition to getting the contact details of the other drivers, you should get the contact information of any witnesses as similarly to photos of the crash, they can provide evidence of what happened and greatly influence your compensation claim. Finally, it is important that when the police come to the scene and ask you about what happened in the car crash that you tell them what happened as honestly and accurately as you can. Before they arrive, you can go over in your mind what you remember from the accident.

If the car crash was my fault, who has to be informed?

In regards to the question, “The car crash was my fault who has to be informed?”, the answer depends on the specific circumstances of your car crash but in most cases, the police and your insurer should be informed.

If you are in a car crash and it was not your fault then you may be eligible to make a compensation claim. Make a claim with Accident Advice Helpline by calling or texting us. Just dial 0800 689 0500 from your land line, or 0333 500 0993 from your mobile now, or text ‘Claim365’ to 88010.

  • Was this Helpful ?
  • Yes   No

How much you could claim?

Two QUICK ways to find:
  1. Call us at 0800 689 0500 or 0333 500 0993 from your mobile OR
  2. Use our Claim Calculator

Disclaimer: This website contains content contributed by third parties, therefore any opinions, comments or other information expressed on this site that do not relate to the business of AAHDL or its associated companies should be understood as neither being held or endorsed by this business.

Claim Calculator
Find out in 30 seconds how much YOU could claim...
  • Please tell us where you were injured
  • Please enter your full name
  • Please enter a valid name
  • Please enter your telephone number
  • Please enter a valid telephone number
  • Terms and Conditions*Required

Can I Claim?

Esther says "The law states that if you’ve been injured and someone else is to blame, you are entitled to compensation." Read more >

Claim Calculator ► Accident Types ►

How Much Could I Claim?

It only takes 30 seconds to find out how much compensation you could receive. Take the 30 second test now.>

30 Second test ► Claim Form ►

Why Choose Us?

"When they say they are 100% no-win, no-fee*, they mean it. I would recommend Accident Advice Helpline to anybody." Read more >

No-Win, No-Fee*? ► Testimonials ►

Claim Now

"They were ever so professional ... they knew exactly what I was going through ... I received over £4500." Read more >

Claim Form ► Call Me Back ►
Is there anything wrong with this page? ( Help us Improve )