Although many accidents on the roads of Britain tend to involve drivers colliding with other drivers, in areas like Bromley and some other towns and boroughs of London, there is an increase in the number of accidents which involve cyclists.
This is especially true in urban areas where more people tend to cycle to and from work. In fact, although the number of drivers who are killed or serious injured in car accidents all over the United Kingdom is falling, there are actually more and more cyclists being killed or seriously injured on the streets of Britain.
As a result, it’s very important that both drivers and cyclists be aware of how they can avoid accidents with each other in the first place so that neither party has to consider making car accident claims in Bromley for personal injury compensation following an accident.
Tips for cycling safely in Bromley
- Make sure you indicate well in advance of a turn, as clearly and visibly as possible.
- Avoid riding alongside larger good vehicles like lorries, as the driver may not always be able to see you clearly.
- Use the correct safety equipment, including a helmet, visible reflective clothing, and bicycle lights.
Tips for driving safely in Bromley
It may not be immediately obvious how a collision with a cyclist could injure a driver – and in most cases, the driver usually is not injured in straightforward collisions. Where the danger lies is when a driver swerves to avoid a cyclist and collides with another vehicle, or is run off the road and the driver is injured.
- Take care when opening car doors, especially ones on the road-side of the car, in case a cyclist is passing by.
- Make sure to give cyclists as much space when passing them by as you can, so that they are not pulled too close to the car.
- Look for cyclists at junctions and crossings – it’s a good idea to give them a quick sign or make eye contact to let them know you have seen them and will compensate accordingly.
Making car accident claims in Bromley
If, in spite of the tips above and your own ability, you are injured in an accident on the road which was not your fault, you could make car accident claims in Bromley whether you’re a driver or a cyclist, provided that your accident occurred within the last three years.
Accident Advice Helpline has more than a decade of experience in helping people injured in accidents in the United Kingdom claim compensation. To talk to Accident Advice Helpline about the possibilities of car accident claims in Bromley, call us at your earliest convenience on 0800 689 0500 free from your landline today, or call 0333 500 0993 if you’d prefer to chat from your mobile.
Date Published: 29th November 2014
Author: David Brown