Helpful car accident advice in Highland
The rules for getting to safety and reporting a Highland car accident or a breakdown are different depending on whether you are on a motorway or on another road. In some cases, being on a motorway when you have a car accident or break down is more dangerous, because of the speed of the other cars – coupled with the fact that there are rarely any safe places to stop. However, being on other types of roads can also be risky if you don’t know how to deal with the situation. Here are some tips for keeping safe when your car breaks down on the road.
- Put on a reflective jacket or vest. If it is dark and you keep one of these in the car, put it on. Wearing this type of jacket helps other vehicles to see you and note that there is a problem long before they pose a risk to you.
- Get yourself and passengers away from the car. On a busy road, or one close to a roundabout or turning, get everyone out of the car and move as far away from it as you feel comfortable. If the car is hit by another car then you could be badly injured otherwise.
- Keep your sidelights on. This is another step which will help other road users see you and ensure that you are noticed before a further accident is caused.
- Contact your breakdown service or emergency services asap.
- Put out a warning triangle. Not everyone will have one of these but, if you do, you should place it at least 45 meters away from your car to warn other traffic of the problem coming up.
You have the right to claim compensation
If you have been unfortunate enough to have sustained personal injury in a car accident that was caused by the negligent actions of another person, you may be able to make a claim for compensation. Compensation can help you to pay for the damage to your vehicle or any other personal possessions which have been damaged. It can also help pay for medical treatments and time off work.
Get in touch with Accident Advice Helpline today
Accident Advice Helpline are experts in recovering compensation for victims caught up in situations of this nature. For more car accident advice in Highland, give us a call today for a free chat with one of our advisers. Dial 0800 689 0500 from a landline or 0333 500 0993 from your mobile phone and find out whether or not you have a valid claim for compensation.
Date Published: 16th June 2014
Author: David Brown