How much could you claim?

Find out in 30 seconds...
Injured in the last 3 years?
Was the accident your fault?
Did you recieve medical attention?
Please tell us where you were injured
  • Please enter your full name
  • Please enter a valid name
  • Please enter your telephone number
  • Please enter a valid telephone number
  • Please read our Terms & Conditions

    "If you've been injured through no fault of your own you could be entitled to compensation. If you're unsure if you could claim, I recommend you call Accident Advice Helpline."

    Esther Rantzen

    Who can make a motor insurance claim?

    Who can make a motor insurance claim?

    If you drive a motor vehicle either for social or work reasons, you will need to have motor insurance. It is a legal requirement to do so, and this insurance covers you in case you cause damage to another person’s car, or cause physical injuries to another person when you are driving. Likewise, if another person damages your vehicle or injures you or one of your passengers, it would be possible to make a motor insurance claim against them.

    Different types of car insurance

    There are three main kinds of motor insurance:

    • Third party – this type of insurance provides cover for other people (including your passengers) involved in an accident, or damage to another person’s vehicle or property, but provides no cover if your own vehicle is stolen or damaged
    • Third party, fire and theft – this type of insurance is like third party but will also cover the cost of repairs or replacement if someone steals your vehicle or sets it on fire
    • Fully comprehensive – this type of insurance provides all of the cover stated above, and also covers you for damage to your own motor vehicle

    Most people recommend buying fully comprehensive insurance as it provides the most cover possible and will protect you against a number of different claims.

    How to make a motor insurance claim against another party

    If you are driving your car and another driver causes an accident that was not your fault, resulting in damage to your vehicle, injuries to yourself or your passengers, or both, you should contact your motor insurance company in order to make a claim. The cost of the claim (providing the other party is shown to be to blame) will come out of the other party’s insurance and could pay for repairs to your vehicle or provide compensation for physical injuries.

    However, some motor insurance companies only allow you to make a motor insurance claim for the damage to your vehicle or property. Making a claim for personal injury compensation is often something you will need specialist representation for, such as help from Accident Advice Helpline. Personal injury law is more complex than simply making a claim for damage to a motor vehicle, so it is a good idea to have an experienced law firm on your side.

    Open Claim Calculator

    Were you injured in a road traffic accident?

    If you were injured while driving your car and another driver was to blame, you may be able to make a claim for personal injury compensation. Among the most common injuries sustained in road traffic accidents are:

    • Whiplash
    • Head injuries
    • Facial injuries such as broken nose
    • Crush injuries
    • Spinal injuries

    If you have suffered from any of these injuries in a road traffic accident you believe was not your fault, you should contact Accident Advice Helpline to see where you stand regarding compensation. Many people are able to claim compensation for their injuries without even knowing it, and as long as your accident happened in the last three years and you received medical treatment, you may have a very strong case.

    It is important to know that you may still be able to make a motor insurance claim for injuries sustained separately from your claim for damage to your vehicle. You may feel as though your motor insurance company has not done enough to claim for your injuries, and has only dealt with the damage to your vehicle. In this case, it is a good idea to contact personal injury specialists.

    Personal accident cover

    If you were hurt in a road traffic accident, you may also be able to receive compensation through personal accident cover. This is an additional layer of coverage you can add to your motor vehicle policy to cover you for injuries sustained in an accident. Not many people actually take up this additional insurance, but if you have, you should also contact your insurance company to make full use of it if you were injured.

    So who can make a motor insurance claim?

    The answer to this question is essentially that anyone can make a motor insurance claim who has a current policy which applies to the vehicle being driven at the time. Sometimes when you have fully comprehensive insurance you are also legally allowed to drive other people’s vehicles, or work vehicles, but it is important to know whether or not you are covered before you start driving that vehicle.

    Any employer who expects their staff to drive a company vehicle must provide insurance for them to do so. Work vehicles must also be maintained properly so that they are safe to drive, as a failure to do so may put staff at risk and lead to a claim for personal injury compensation against the employer. If you were hurt while driving a work vehicle and you feel as though your employer did not maintain it properly which contributed to the accident, you should also seek professional injury compensation advice.

    Do you feel let down by your insurance company?

    If you sustained injuries in a road traffic accident and feel as though you have not been properly compensated from the other party’s insurance, you should give Accident Advice Helpline a call to see if you are able to make an additional claim. As stated above, personal injury compensation is a specialist area of the law, and your motor insurance company may not be the best representation you can have as far as a claim is concerned.

    How Accident Advice Helpline can help you

    Accident Advice Helpline was established in 2000 to help people make claims for injuries which were caused by other parties. We always operate on a no-win, no-fee* basis which means you do not have to worry about any large upfront fees, and you can call us for free initial advice without worrying about any obligation to proceed.

    Call us any time on 0800 689 0500 (or 0333 500 0993 from a mobile) to start a claim or simply to find out whether or not you are eligible.

    Date Published: 23rd June 2014

    Author: Rebecca Smith

    Category: Road Traffic Accident Claims

    Accident Advice Helpline (or AAH) is a trading style of Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited. Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with registration number 07931918, VAT 142 8192 16, registered office Dempster Building, Atlantic Way, Brunswick Business Park, Liverpool, L3 4UU and is an approved Alternative Business Structure authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority with licence number 591058 and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

    Disclaimer: This website contains content contributed by third parties, therefore any opinions, comments or other information expressed on this site that do not relate to the business of AAHDL or its associated companies should be understood as neither being held or endorsed by this business.

    No-Win No-Fee: *Subject to insurance costs. Fee payable if case not pursued at client's request.