Even though people associate burns with fire, there are a lot of different types of burns that you can get. Below are the different kinds of burns claims that people make and some information about the burns that are associated with those claims.
- Chemical burn claim – These kinds of burns happen when someone’s skin has contact with corrosive or caustic chemicals.
- Thermal burn claim – When skin is exposed to very high heat, for example from touching something very hot, from a fire or from an explosion a burn will occur.
- Electrical burns – Someone who has been shocked is going to have an electrical burn on their skin, but most damage is usually internal.
- Friction burn claim – Someone whose skin has been dragged up against some kind of surface, especially an abrasive surface, may have a friction burn because of it. Friction may generate heat which means it also might be a thermal burn.
- Frostbite/cold burns – Being in contact with substances that are cold like ice and any kind of chemicals such as dry ice or liquid nitrogen can cause something frostbite, also known as cold burn.
- Scalding burn claim – Scalds are burns that results from being in contact with vapour or a very hot liquid. Some things that might cause a scald are steam, coffee, boiling water, or soup. This is often caused when working in the food industry.
- Radiation burns – Sunburn is the most common kind of this type of burn, either from natural sun exposure or using a sunbed. These kinds of burns can also happen after radiation treatment or through radiation sources. Even though some people need radiation because of cancer treatments, others who don’t need them shouldn’t get them because of their sunbed.
- Inhalation burn claim – These kinds of burns happen when someone inhales air that is very hot, like when they have been close to a fire or some other chemical fumes. These kinds of burns appear in the nose, mouth, lungs, and airways of the person.
Making a burn claim
These are the different kinds of burns that you can get every day. These are the things that can burn you and that can cause you harm when you are dealing with them and encountering them from day to day. If you have been injured by a burn due to someone else’s negligence, you should contact Accident Advice Helpline – a personal injury law firm who provide access to justice for victims of non-fault accidents. To discuss your claim with a member of our expert team dial 0800 689 0500 from a landline or ring 0333 500 0993 from a mobile now.
Date Published: 23rd February 2013
Author: Rebecca Smith
Category: Burn injury claims