Making an asbestosis compensation claim
Have you been exposed to asbestos over a long period of time as a result of the work you do, or have done in the past? You may be entitled to make an asbestosis claim.
Asbestosis: The statistics
- Asbestosis is likely to have contributed as a cause of 412 deaths in 2010 (compared with 109 in 1978).
- Asbestosis was specifically recorded as the underlying cause of death in 169 cases in 2010.
Asbestosis: The cause
The cause of asbestosis is prolonged exposure to asbestos, a greyish-white material used extensively in the past in the construction industry, for insulation and fire prevention. Breathing in fine asbestos dust causes scarring of the lung tissue. If you worked in an industry where you were exposed to asbestos over a prolonged period of time, then you might be entitled to make an asbestosis claim for financial compensation.
Asbestosis: The symptoms
Symptoms of asbestosis usually become apparent 15 to 30 years after exposure to asbestos. The most common symptoms of this disease are:
- Shortness of breath
In more advanced cases of asbestosis, fingers can become swollen (also known as ‘finger clubbing’).
Living with asbestosis
Once it has been scarred, lung tissue cannot be repaired; therefore there is no cure for asbestosis. Symptoms of the disease, such as coughing and shortness of breath can remain fairly mild in nature; however they can also develop and increase in severity over a number of years. It is known that those who suffer from asbestosis are more likely to develop more serious conditions, such as lung cancer, mesothelioma (cancer of the membrane of the lung, heart or gut) and pleural disease (thickening of the lung membrane).
If you are living with the effects of asbestosis, it is likely that you will suffer mental, emotional and perhaps financial pressures in addition to the physical symptoms you have to cope with day to day. Making an asbestosis claim for compensation may help you come to terms with the fact that you have contracted an illness through no fault of your own and, of course, give you some financial assistance to offer some relief from the stresses and pressures you face.
Accident Advice Helpline and your asbestosis compensation claim
At Accident Advice Helpline (AAH) we have been working for over ten years to successfully bring compensation to thousands of victims who have been injured or suffer illness through no fault of their own in accidents in public areas, on the road, or in the workplace. Regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority and endorsed by consumer champion Esther Rantzen, we are proud of our reputation for integrity and reliability. Who better, then, to trust with your asbestosis compensation claim?
- Take AAH’s unique 30-second test to find out if you qualify for compensation and to get an idea of how much you could receive
- Speak to one of our friendly advisors on 0800 689 0500 and explain that you want to make an asbestosis compensation claim
- Though you may need to attend at least one additional medical assessment, most claims can largely be processed by telephone
- It is likely that you will not need to attend court
- You can claim for any expenses you have incurred as a result of your asbestosis (so keep all receipts which can be used as evidence to support your claim
Date Published: 10th February 2013
Author: David Brown