Preparing your car for winter driving to avoid a car accident
Although there are risks to driving in both winter and summer, or in fact at any time of year, it is more likely that accidents on the road in Waltham Forest will happen in the winter due to the conditions of the road. Roads in winter are more slippery, and there is less visibility throughout the day. It becomes darker much earlier, and bad weather conditions such as rain and fog obscure your view as well. As winter approaches it is more than worth your while to start thinking about how you are going to prepare your car for the winter and protect yourself from problems.
- Change your tyres. Winter is when you will need to most traction from your tyres, so you want them to be as new and clean as possible. If you have new tyres that you are waiting to put on, the beginning of winter may be the ideal time to do so.
- Check your lights. Because it gets dark earlier and stays dark for longer in the winter, combined with bad weather conditions, you will be using your lights more often, and be relying on them most of the time. Make sure that your lights are in proper working order, and that you have spares for when you need them.
- Get your brakes serviced. Skidding is a real concern in the winter, so you should take your car in to get your brakes serviced before the weather turns icy.
- Change wiper blades and refill window washing solution. Try to get a window washing solution with antifreeze (although not the same that you would use in your engine!). You will be using these far more often in winter and they will be critical in some weather conditions.
- Check engine antifreeze. Although you will be using this all year round, it is most important in the winter to avert corrosion.
When to claim for accidents on the road in Waltham Forest with Accident Advice Helpline
If you have a car accident in the winter, it is more than likely that your accident will be caused by the conditions of the road or weather conditions. However, if you feel that someone is actually to blame for your accident then you are within your rights to want to make a compensation claim.
The best way to make a successful claim for accidents on the road in Waltham Forest is to use Accident Advice Helpline, and speak to the friendly team about whether or not you have a good case for compensation. You can reach the helpline on 0800 689 0500 and the team will offer you all the advice and support you need throughout your claim to keep you up to date.
Date Published: 12th June 2014
Author: David Brown