How much could you claim?

Find out in 30 seconds...
Injured in the last 3 years?
Was the accident your fault?
Did you recieve medical attention?
Please tell us where you were injured
  • Please enter your full name
  • Please enter a valid name
  • Please enter your telephone number
  • Please enter a valid telephone number
  • Please read our Terms & Conditions

    "If you've been injured through no fault of your own you could be entitled to compensation. If you're unsure if you could claim, I recommend you call Accident Advice Helpline."

    Esther Rantzen

    Accidents in school, college or university

    Accidents in school, college or university can result in personal injuries that may be eligible to receive compensation. If someone else was to blame, the accident happened in the past three years and resulted in the need for medical attention, then you will likely be eligible to make a claim.

    The types of accidents in school, college or university may include:

    • A slip, trip or fall
    • Asbestos-related illness
    • Food poisoning
    • Sports accidents
    • Injuries due to faulty equipment
    • Accidents during lessons, lectures or laboratory experiments

    It is the responsibility of your education provider to ensure your learning facilities do not put you at risk from accidents or injuries. This may include regular health and safety reviews, maintenance of equipment with replacement where necessary, clean kitchen facilities staffed by trained cooking staff, and ensuring that asbestos is not present within the buildings.

    When should a claim be made?

    If you have been involved in an accident in your place of education due to negligence, it is important to make a claim. In many cases, accidents at school may involve a minor – in this case, a parent is able to make a claim on their child’s behalf, up until their eighteenth birthday. For adults, there is a three year window in which to make a claim for compensation – however, this criteria is waived for minors who are able to claim at any time up until their eighteenth birthday, after which they will have a further three years to make a claim.

    Why is compensation in place?

    Accidents in school, college or university may result in physical injuries such as a head or neck injury, broken bones or an asbestos related illness. Whatever the injury, it will have not only an impact on your body but also on your mental health, due to extra stress and worry. Going through an accident may also result in time away from your studies, which could impact upon grades. Finances can be affected too – due to medical bills, treatment and medication costs, or loss of earnings if you have a part time job and are unable to attend due to your injuries.

    Open Claim Calculator

    Accidents in school, college or  university – how to make a claim

    To make a claim, you should get in touch with a compensation provider as soon as possible once you have received sufficient medical attention, which should be your first priority. At Accident Advice Helpline, we run an advice line to allow you to discuss your claim and enabling you to relieve yourself of any worries you may have.

    Your claim can in most cases be processed entirely via the telephone with the guidance of our professional, friendly advisory team. We ensure that you are represented by the best legal team for your personal injury type and all on a no-win, no-fee basis, so give us a call today. Ring 0800 689 0500 from a landline, or 0333 500 0993 from a mobile.

    Date Published: 28th February 2013

    Author: Sharon Parry

    Accident Advice Helpline (or AAH) is a trading style of Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited. Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with registration number 07931918, VAT 142 8192 16, registered office Dempster Building, Atlantic Way, Brunswick Business Park, Liverpool, L3 4UU and is an approved Alternative Business Structure authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority with licence number 591058 and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

    Disclaimer: This website contains content contributed by third parties, therefore any opinions, comments or other information expressed on this site that do not relate to the business of AAHDL or its associated companies should be understood as neither being held or endorsed by this business.

    No-Win No-Fee: *Subject to insurance costs. Fee payable if case not pursued at client's request.