Being involved in an accident at work in Chesterfield is never easy – and sustaining a serious injury can be a downright painful experience. Whatever the underlying cause of your accident, it is important to remember that the things you say and do in the immediate aftermath can have a major impact on the success of your claim, should you choose to take action against your employer.
5 things you can do to protect your rights after an accident at work in Chesterfield
To protect yourself and your legal rights after an accident at work, follow these five simple tips.
- Inform your employer – Although you may feel as though there is no need to make a fuss, you must report your accident to your employer. Your employer will need to review the situation and where necessary, inform the Health and Safety Executive (HSE).
- Collect evidence – If you are able to do so, try to collect as much evidence as possible while you are at the accident scene. You can do this by taking photographs of the hazard, and collecting the names and contact details of any eyewitnesses.
- Seek medical help – Your body may not react to trauma in the way you expect, which means that it may be difficult for you to assess the severity of your injuries without medical help. To protect your health and your future claim, seek timely medical attention as soon as possible after your accident. This will provide you with a clear record of the injuries you have sustained.
- Do not trust your employer’s insurer – Your employer’s insurer may mislead you into believing that they will fairly and fully compensate you after your accident at work in Chesterfield. However, it is important to realise that they may only be out to save themselves money. Do not accept any offers from your employer’s insurer without first consulting a lawyer. They may try to get you to settle your case for less than you deserve.
- Call the Accident Advice Helpline – One of the wisest things you can do after suffering an injury in an accident at work in Chesterfield is contact the team here at the Accident Advice Helpline. By seeking professional advice from our team of personal injury experts, you can learn more about protecting your legal rights and building a solid claim against your employer.