What to do if you have an accident at work


By law, your employer must protect your health and safety at work. He or she must ensure that your workplace is safe and does not present any risks to your health. As part of this duty, your employer must:

  • Regularly inspect and maintain machinery and other equipment found in your workplace
  • Provide you with personal protective equipment where necessary
  • Report certain types of illnesses and injuries to the Health and Safety Executive
  • Provide suitable first aid facilities
  • Assess the risks that might be associated with your working practices, such as using dangerous machinery and, wherever possible, change these practices to prevent injuries

As an employee, you must cooperate with your employer to make your workplace safe. You must therefore take reasonable care to protect your own health and safety and that of your work colleagues.

If you think that conditions in your workplace are unsafe, consult with your trade union, if you have one. Alternatively, contact the HSE.

What to do if you have an accident at work and you need to report it to your employer

If you have an accident at work, you must report it to your employer as soon as you are able to do so. If your employer has an accident book, make a detailed record of your injury and photocopy the entry for your own use. If your employer does not have an accident book, put the details of your accident down in writing and send your account to your employer. If you are unable to report your accident to your employer, try to get a work colleague to do so on your behalf.

What to do if you have an accident at work and you believe you have sustained an injury

If you believe you may have sustained an injury, you should seek medical attention, even if your injury does not appear to be of major concern. When you visit your GP’s surgery or hospital’s A&E department, a doctor will record the details of your accident in your medical notes.

What to do if you have an accident at work and you wish to claim compensation

If you need to take time off work to recovery from your injury, you may get Statutory Sick Pay. You may also be able to claim compensation from your employer.

If you wish to receive compensation, please call Accident Advice Helpline and seek advice from our trained advisors. They will be able to match you up with an experienced solicitor who specialises in accident at work claims.

  • Was this Helpful ?
  • Yes   No

How much you could claim?

Two QUICK ways to find:
  1. Call us at 0800 689 0500 or 0333 500 0993 from your mobile OR
  2. Use our Claim Calculator

Disclaimer: This website contains content contributed by third parties, therefore any opinions, comments or other information expressed on this site that do not relate to the business of AAHDL or its associated companies should be understood as neither being held or endorsed by this business.

Claim Calculator
Find out in 30 seconds how much YOU could claim...
  • Please tell us where you were injured
  • Please enter your full name
  • Please enter a valid name
  • Please enter your telephone number
  • Please enter a valid telephone number
  • Terms and Conditions*Required

Can I Claim?

Esther says "The law states that if you’ve been injured and someone else is to blame, you are entitled to compensation." Read more >

Claim Calculator ► Accident Types ►

How Much Could I Claim?

It only takes 30 seconds to find out how much compensation you could receive. Take the 30 second test now.>

30 Second test ► Claim Form ►

Why Choose Us?

"When they say they are 100% no-win, no-fee*, they mean it. I would recommend Accident Advice Helpline to anybody." Read more >

No-Win, No-Fee*? ► Testimonials ►

Claim Now

"They were ever so professional ... they knew exactly what I was going through ... I received over £4500." Read more >

Claim Form ► Call Me Back ►
Is there anything wrong with this page? ( Help us Improve )