An accident solicitor in Waltham Forest perhaps isn’t everyone’s idea of the ideal party guest, unless you happen to have a friend who is a personal injury solicitor and they’re off duty.
But if a solicitor whose workload involves many claims for injuries caused by fireworks were to come to your bonfire night or New Year’s Eve celebrations, they wouldn’t be able to help but look at how things were organised, in order to minimise the risk of an accident.
Have you planned your fireworks display properly?
If the solicitor walked into your party as the festivities are getting underway, would they see that…
1) You have set up the display site outside, well away from where everyone will be standing? It’s vital that people stand well back so there’s no risk of the fireworks injuring them.
2) You are keeping the box of fireworks in a safe place, well away from any naked flames – and you’re not smoking? It may seem obvious, but some people are really careless around fireworks, so unfortunately, not smoking near them actually needs to be mentioned.
3) You are reading the instructions on the fireworks before you light each one? Don’t assume that you can just stick it in the ground and light it, almost on auto-pilot.
4) You are not putting any petrol or paraffin on the bonfire. You shouldn’t use accelerants like these to get a fire going. Be patient.
5) You’re directing rockets away from spectators? It’s vitally important that these are secure, and they don’t end up firing at your guests – or they might be the ones seeking the services of an accident solicitor in Waltham Forest so they can make a claim against you!
Don’t put yourself or others at risk
The best thing to do is this: forget about throwing a party and go to an organised event instead. That way, you will be going to a party that has been risk-assessed, where there are people from the local St John’s Ambulance available to perform First Aid, and where there is plenty of space – much more than you can offer in your back garden.
Find an accident solicitor in Waltham Forest
However, even at an organised display, there’s always the chance you might receive an injury through no fault of your own, and if that’s the case, you could be eligible to claim compensation.
You can get hold of a ‘no win, no fee’ solicitor through Accident Advice Helpline, whose friendly advisers are always available on the other end of the phone – our lines are open 24/7.
Dial 0800 689 0500 from a landline and start giving your details to an adviser now. If you’re a mobile user, dial 0333 500 0993 or text “claim365” to 88010 and await a call from someone.
Date Published: 27th October 2014
Author: David Brown