More about the town of Shildon
The town of Shildon in County Durham was the home of Timothy Hackworth, an innovator of the railway industry. He built one of the first ever steam engines, the Sans Pareil, and his achievements are celebrated at the famous National Rail Museum in Shildon.
While trains remain one of the most convenient and cost-effective ways to travel around County Durham, accidents on trains can occur. Due to the high speed at which trains travel, accidents involving trains are often very severe and can result in serious injuries and fatalities.
Accidents involving trains should not be taken lightly. Following an accident, you must take steps to ensure that others do not suffer in the same way.
Steps to take following a train accident
- If you have suffered a minor accident, inform the driver or any other official as soon as possible.
- Make a note of the name and number of the person you have spoken to and ensure that they take down your name, address and details of your injuries.
- Retain your train ticket. In order to claim compensation, you will need to provide proof that you were a passenger.
- Ask a medical professional to assess your injuries. You can either visit your local A&E department or GP’s surgery. You may also wish to keep a diary of your pain and suffering.
- Collect and retain the contact details of any witnesses to your accident.
Understanding the causes of train accidents
Trains are sophisticated pieces of machinery and must be operated by trained professionals. Only then can the safety of the people in and around the train be ensured. However, if you have been injured while on a train, you must understand that several factors can result in fatal and serious accidents, including:
- Driver error
- Improper construction or maintenance of the railways
- Mechanical defects in the train
Regardless of the cause of your train accident, you should let an accident solicitor in Shildon assess your situation and help you to secure the maximum possible compensation settlement so that you can get your life back on track.
Hiring an accident solicitor in Shildon
Finding an accident solicitor in Shildon does not have to be a challenging task. Call Accident Advice Helpline on 0800 689 0500 or 0333 500 0993 from a mobile phone and our advisers will assess your claim. If we think you have a valid personal injury claim then your case will be handled by our personal injury accident solicitors. We can help if you need an accident solicitor in Shildon so give us a call today.
Date Published: 25th August 2013
Author: David Brown