Preparing for Christmas? You’re probably very excited, but please take a step back for a moment. Have a bit of time out to stop and think about safety.
A few precautions
Probably the last thing you want to do at this festive time of year is spoil the fun by putting systems in place, but if you don’t, there might not be a lot of fun – someone might have an accident.
Just ask any accident solicitor in Livingston about the claims for personal injury they end up dealing with because something’s happened to someone at Christmas, or in the run-up to it.
If you need the services of a solicitor at Accident Advice Helpline, it will be because you were the victim of an accident that wasn’t your fault. You got injured because someone did something, or failed to do something that could have prevented the accident.
But you could reduce your chances of getting injured, and other people’s chances of suffering injuries – and here’s how.Open Claim Calculator
Tips on Christmas safety
1) Buy gifts with care, especially for children. Look at the age guidelines on the packaging. Is that toy really suitable for a young child, with all its small parts? They might present a choking risk.
2) Stock up on batteries. Many gifts need them, and you might be tempted to “borrow” batteries from smoke alarms or carbon monoxide detectors. Don’t even think about it!
3) Put up cards and decorations, of course. But don’t put them up near any fires. Think about where you’re going to put those nice candles – make sure they are well away from anything that might catch fire.
4) Those Christmas lights you’ve had for years may look pretty, but why not consider replacing them? They’ll meet higher safety standards.
5) For gift unwrapping, make sure there’s a bin and a pair of scissors available. Use the scissors instead of knives, keys or corkscrews to deal with tricky packaging, and put all wrapping paper and other waste in a bin so you don’t slip on it. Keep the floor clear.
That’s not all
There’s plenty more to think about, so if you need a bit more advice, why not visit the RoSPA website? There’s a lot of really useful information on there, and it just might save you the trouble of a trip to A&E just as you were about to sit down to your Christmas dinner.
Contact an accident solicitor in Livingston
If you do need to get hold of a no win no fee* personal injury lawyer, Accident Advice Helpline will be pleased to assist you with an accident solicitor in Livingston. All you need to do is call our hotline and speak to an advisor – and you can do this anytime, because our lines are open 24/7.
- Dial 0800 689 0500 from a landline
- Dial 0333 500 0993 from a mobile
- Text “claim365” to 88010
We look forward to hearing from you.