Accident sickness unemployment


If you are the person who normally brings in the wages to your household, have you ever thought about what would happen if you were unable to work? The fact that you are no longer the breadwinner – or are not earning as much as you used to – will not stop the monthly bills appearing.

You will still be using the gas, electricity and telephone, and the car and house will still need to be insured. That credit card bill also will not pay itself. So how will you manage? There are a number of safety nets that may apply if you are injured in an accident at work that was not your fault. They may help you to get through this tough time. Here is some basic information on them..

Accident and sickness unemployment payments – statutory sick pay

Under some circumstances, employees are entitled to a payment called Statutory Sick Pay as a way of getting an accident and sickness unemployment payment. You may need some sort of evidence of your illness. You can find more information about this type of accident and sickness unemployment payment on the government website or from the Human Resources department at your employer’s address. In some circumstances, this type of accident and sickness unemployment payment is only paid for a fixed period of time.

Accident sickness unemployment payments – sick leave

Some employees are entitled to sick leave payments when they are not well enough to work. Some employers have their own sickness payment schemes. These are variable and last for different periods of time. For example, some payments only last for three months or you may be paid a half salary for another few months. You may have to have some evidence of your illness or injury or you may have to have an interview with your line manager. You can find out more about your individual entitlement to sick leave payments from your line manager and it should be set out in the terms and conditions of your employment. Of course, some employees and most self-employed people do not have this sort of payment at all.

Accident sickness unemployment payments – private insurance

Some people choose to take out an insurance policy which will give them payments if they become too ill or too injured to work. This is arranged by a private insurance company and the payments start at various lengths of time after the accident. For example, some payments only start several months after the period of sickness began. They do not tend to be open ended either – and so they will stop after a certain period of time.

Accident sickness unemployment payments – Accident Advice Helpline

Many people who are looking for accident and sickness unemployment payments when they have been involved in an accident that was not their fault turn to Accident Advice Helpline for support. Their highly-trained lawyers can help you claim money from the person who caused the accident.  The money is for the injury itself and in addition to a successful claim you will be reimbursed for the expenditure you were caused because of the injury.

  • Was this Helpful ?
  • Yes   No

How much you could claim?

Two QUICK ways to find:
  1. Call us at 0800 689 0500 or 0333 500 0993 from your mobile OR
  2. Use our Claim Calculator

Disclaimer: This website contains content contributed by third parties, therefore any opinions, comments or other information expressed on this site that do not relate to the business of AAHDL or its associated companies should be understood as neither being held or endorsed by this business.

Claim Calculator
Find out in 30 seconds how much YOU could claim...
  • Please tell us where you were injured
  • Please enter your full name
  • Please enter a valid name
  • Please enter your telephone number
  • Please enter a valid telephone number
  • Terms and Conditions*Required

Can I Claim?

Esther says "The law states that if you’ve been injured and someone else is to blame, you are entitled to compensation." Read more >

Claim Calculator ► Accident Types ►

How Much Could I Claim?

It only takes 30 seconds to find out how much compensation you could receive. Take the 30 second test now.>

30 Second test ► Claim Form ►

Why Choose Us?

"When they say they are 100% no-win, no-fee*, they mean it. I would recommend Accident Advice Helpline to anybody." Read more >

No-Win, No-Fee*? ► Testimonials ►

Claim Now

"They were ever so professional ... they knew exactly what I was going through ... I received over £4500." Read more >

Claim Form ► Call Me Back ►
Is there anything wrong with this page? ( Help us Improve )