How much could you claim?

Find out in 30 seconds...
Injured in the last 3 years?
Was the accident your fault?
Did you recieve medical attention?
Please tell us where you were injured
  • Please enter your full name
  • Please enter a valid name
  • Please enter your telephone number
  • Please enter a valid telephone number
  • Please read our Terms & Conditions

    "If you've been injured through no fault of your own you could be entitled to compensation. If you're unsure if you could claim, I recommend you call Accident Advice Helpline."

    Esther Rantzen

    Accident report book

    The Accident Report Book And Your Workplace

    Where ten or more people are employed at any one time by a business, any and all injuries to employees, regardless of how minor they may appear, must be recorded in an accident report book kept on the premises, as required by the Social Security (Claims and Payments) Regulations 1979.

    Even if you have fewer than ten employees, it is still strongly recommended that this information be recorded.

    Accidents that are recorded must remain on file for a minimum of three years from the date that it was reported.  These records must also not be seen by other members of staff, this is because they contain personal information and so must abide by the Data Protection Act.

    Things To Include In Your Accident Report Book

    Your accident report book should include the following information:

    • Name and address of the person ‘injured’ or involved in the incident;
    • What happened, when & where?
    • Who witnessed the incident
    • Any other relevant details.

    According to RIDDOR (Reporting of Injuries, Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences Regulations 1995) businesses are not required to record the details of non employees (clients, visitors, customers…) who were involved in an accident on the premises, but it is recommended that you do so anyway for your own records and assessment.

    Open Claim Calculator

    It is worth noting though that the law changed slightly on 6 April 2012; If a worker sustains an occupational injury resulting from an accident, their injury should be reported if they are incapacitated for more than seven days. There is no longer a requirement to report occupational injuries that result in more than three days of incapacitation, but you must still keep a record of such injuries.

    These records can be used to keep track of, and improve upon, health and safety standards and practices in the workplace and should be viewed regularly as a matter of course.  They may also be used as training aids, but the details of the persons injured must remain confidential (this includes their name).

    Accident report books may also be used as evidence in the case of a compensation claim being made by an employee or ‘visitor’ to the business premises.

    Accident Advice Helpline is just one place that an injured party may turn to when seeking personal injury compensation.  With 15 years’ worth of experience in the personal injury claims business, they are among the country’s best compensation specialists and the only one endorsed by the consumer champion Esther Rantzen.

    Esther has worked tirelessly for quite some time in the consumer arena, fighting for the fair treatment of consumers nationwide and she also supports several charities.

    In Accident Advice Helpline, she saw a company that held similar values as her own. You can give our team a call on 0800 689 0500 to discuss things in more detail.

    Date Published: 15th July 2013

    Author: David Brown

    Category: Health and safety at work

    Accident Advice Helpline (or AAH) is a trading style of Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited. Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with registration number 07931918, VAT 142 8192 16, registered office Dempster Building, Atlantic Way, Brunswick Business Park, Liverpool, L3 4UU and is an approved Alternative Business Structure authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority with licence number 591058 and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

    Disclaimer: This website contains content contributed by third parties, therefore any opinions, comments or other information expressed on this site that do not relate to the business of AAHDL or its associated companies should be understood as neither being held or endorsed by this business.

    No-Win No-Fee: *Subject to insurance costs. Fee payable if case not pursued at client's request.