Accident Records


All accidents to employees in any workplace, however minor, must be recorded. An accident is defined as work-related if is it caused by:

  • Work organisation, e.g. supervision, training
  • The condition of the premises
  • Machinery, equipment or substances which the employee uses or is exposed to at work
  • Acts of physical violence

Why keep accident records?

This is a requirement under social security legislation. An employee may be forced to claim benefits at a later date due to their injury, and it is vital that the proper accident records exist to prove that the accident happened at work. Likewise, these records are also required as evidence if the victim subsequently needs to make a claim for personal injury compensation.

Employers also have a responsibility to monitor accidents as a means of assessing whether the existing controls are adequate and to implement new procedures where necessary. Keeping accident records is crucial in monitoring trends and identifying and eliminating potential risks in order to prevent injury to employees.

Certain work-related accidents must also be reported to the Health and Safety Executive.

Who is responsible for accident records?

Your employer is responsible for accident reporting. Some organisations may nominate a specific person or department to handle the task.

As the victim of a workplace accident, it is in your best interests to ensure that the incident is properly recorded. Make sure that all details are accurate before you sign the record.

If your injury prevents you from working for more than seven consecutive days after the accident, your employer must report it under the Reporting of Injuries, Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences Regulations 1995 (RIDDOR). All major injuries must also be reported. These include:

  • Fractures, except to fingers, thumbs or toes
  • Amputation
  • Dislocation of shoulder, hip, knee or spine
  • Temporary or permanent loss of sight
  • Penetrating injury or burn to the eye
  • Any injury which renders the victim unconscious, requiring resuscitation or hospitalisation for more than 24 hours
  • Loss of consciousness due to the effects of harmful substances

Accident Advice Helpline has been in business since 2000 and has vast experience of helping victims of workplace accidents claim the compensation they deserve. We’re recommended by renowned consumer champion Esther Rantzen so you know you’re dealing with a company you can rely on.

If you have been injured in a workplace accident in the last three years which was somebody else’s fault, contact our experts. They’ll talk through the specifics of your case with you to help establish whether you have a valid claim.

Following this free, no-obligation initial discussion, we’ll pass your case to a specialist solicitor. We boast one of the UK’s largest legal networks with around 200 independent personal injury solicitors’ firms nationwide. We will carefully select the solicitor best placed to make a successful claim on your behalf. Your solicitor will then guide you through the rest of the process, keeping you updated every step of the way.

Call now to start your no win no fee* claim on 0800 180 4123.

  • Was this Helpful ?
  • Yes   No

How much you could claim?

Two QUICK ways to find:
  1. Call us at 0800 689 0500 or 0333 500 0993 from your mobile OR
  2. Use our Claim Calculator

Disclaimer: This website contains content contributed by third parties, therefore any opinions, comments or other information expressed on this site that do not relate to the business of AAHDL or its associated companies should be understood as neither being held or endorsed by this business.

Claim Calculator
Find out in 30 seconds how much YOU could claim...
  • Please tell us where you were injured
  • Please enter your full name
  • Please enter a valid name
  • Please enter your telephone number
  • Please enter a valid telephone number
  • Terms and Conditions*Required

Can I Claim?

Esther says "The law states that if you’ve been injured and someone else is to blame, you are entitled to compensation." Read more >

Claim Calculator ► Accident Types ►

How Much Could I Claim?

It only takes 30 seconds to find out how much compensation you could receive. Take the 30 second test now.>

30 Second test ► Claim Form ►

Why Choose Us?

"When they say they are 100% no-win, no-fee*, they mean it. I would recommend Accident Advice Helpline to anybody." Read more >

No-Win, No-Fee*? ► Testimonials ►

Claim Now

"They were ever so professional ... they knew exactly what I was going through ... I received over £4500." Read more >

Claim Form ► Call Me Back ►
Is there anything wrong with this page? ( Help us Improve )