How much could you claim?

Find out in 30 seconds...
Injured in the last 3 years?
Was the accident your fault?
Did you recieve medical attention?
Please tell us where you were injured
  • Please enter your full name
  • Please enter a valid name
  • Please enter your telephone number
  • Please enter a valid telephone number
  • Please read our Terms & Conditions

    "If you've been injured through no fault of your own you could be entitled to compensation. If you're unsure if you could claim, I recommend you call Accident Advice Helpline."

    Esther Rantzen

    Accident lawyers in Kirkwall

    If you have visited Kirkwall, the capital of the Orkney Islands, off the coast of northern Scotland, you may have travelled there by ferry from Aberdeen, or Lerwick. You may, of course, be a resident of Kirkwall and you could be looking for a firm of accident lawyers in Kirkwall because you have been injured in an accident which you could prove was not your fault. You usually have three years from the date of an accident in which to claim personal injury compensation, although for some types of accident you only have two years in which to file a claim. You should check with accident lawyers in Kirkwall or elsewhere, or with us at Accident Advice Helpline to find out how long you have to make your particular claim.

    Accident lawyers in Kirkwall

    You may also be eligible to file a personal injury compensation claim if you have been told by your doctor that you have an illness or disease which was caused by another person’s negligence. You may be wondering what kind of an illness could be the fault of another person, but the answer is fairly simple. You might have been diagnosed with a work-related illness and so you may be able to prove, along with injury lawyers in Kirkwall, or elsewhere, that your employer’s negligence was to blame. Employers have a duty to protect their employees’ health and safety.

    Other examples of illnesses such as these are food poisoning, MRSA, Legionnaire’s Disease and so on. You have three years from the first diagnosis in which to file a personal injury compensation claim.

    Accidents on boats

    If you have an accident on a sea-going vessel, whether as a passenger on a cruise ship, or a member of the crew on a fishing boat, if you are injured in an accident that was not your fault, you may only have two years in which to make a claim. However if you were injured on a narrow boat, for example, on Britain’s inland waterways, you would have three years in which to file a personal injury claim.

    One of the most common types of accidents, whether on dry land or at sea, are slips, trips and falls. If a deck is wet and slippery, you should wear protective footwear, and hold the hand rail. Anti-slip coating is applied to decks, but if the owner of the boat is negligent, it can wear away in patches. If you then slip and injure yourself because the coating has been worn away, you may be able to prove that the boat owner’s negligence was to blame.

    Open Claim Calculator

    Tripping over an item which should have been securely stowed away would also be negligence on the part of another person. If you were hit by a falling object, you could also, perhaps, prove that negligence had caused your injury as the item should have been securely stowed away.

    Accident Advice Helpline

    For expert advice about any personal injury claim, call us at Accident Advice Helpline on one of our freephone numbers. Call 0800 689 0500 from a landline or 0333 500 0993 from a mobile. Why not call us now?

    Date Published: 20th November 2013

    Author: David Brown

    Accident Advice Helpline (or AAH) is a trading style of Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited. Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with registration number 07931918, VAT 142 8192 16, registered office Dempster Building, Atlantic Way, Brunswick Business Park, Liverpool, L3 4UU and is an approved Alternative Business Structure authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority with licence number 591058 and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

    Disclaimer: This website contains content contributed by third parties, therefore any opinions, comments or other information expressed on this site that do not relate to the business of AAHDL or its associated companies should be understood as neither being held or endorsed by this business.

    No-Win No-Fee: *Subject to insurance costs. Fee payable if case not pursued at client's request.