Been a victim of an water related accident? Let an accident lawyer in Leatherhead process your injury claim!
Whilst accidents can occur at any time and any where in the world, accidents involving water often occur whilst you are on holiday both in this country and whilst travelling abroad. Travellers are particularly vulnerable to suffering a water related accident as they are often relaxed, unfamiliar with their surroundings and lack the local knowledge to keep themselves and their families safe.
Causes of water related accidents
- Undertaking higher risk water activities which you may have no prior experience of. For example. jet skiing, banana boat riding, wind surfing, diving and paragliding
- Poorly maintained equipment that can cause accidents
- Lack of training and safety guidance and supervision whilst using unfamiliar equipment
- Swimming when under the influence of alcohol or drugs which may decrease your awareness and give a false impression of your abilities
- Swimming alone in unfamiliar water/pools/lakes/rivers
- Swimming in the sea and getting caught in the tide and currents
- Swimming in unsafe waters which are unsuitable for bathing
- Children and young people swimming unsupervised
- Swimming out of your depth and being unable to stay afloat
- Diving in water that is too shallow
- Existing medical conditions which can cause an inability to swim/stay afloat
- Sustaining another injury whilst swimming which renders you unable to swim e.g. stung by jellyfish
Staying safe whilst enjoying the water
- Make sure that children are always supervised, even if they are in shallow water
- Use inflatable arm bands to aid buoyancy, but don’t rely on these if you are a non swimmer
- Swim in water that has a depth that is appropriate for your ability
- Check tides and safe places to swim with local life guards. Be aware of jellyfish, currents and weather conditions
- Check the depth of water before diving
- Always swim with some one else close by
- Check out that the safety equipment is adequate before deciding to undertake an unfamiliar water sport. If in doubt, try another water school or ask for replacement equipment.
- Use your common sense! If the weather looks changeable, postpone your activity to another day.
- Check that your insurance covers you to participate in any water sports before you take part.
Making your injury claim with an accident lawyer in Leatherhead
If you, or someone you know, have experienced a water related injury which wasn’t your fault and occurred within the last 3 years’, then contact Accident Advice Helpline for helpful, no obligation advice about making a claim with their accident lawyer in Leatherhead.
With a dedicated helpline that is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, sensitive and professional advisers are ready to take your call and process your claim for compensation over the phone with an injury lawyer in Leatherhead. If you are eligible to make a claim, you will be allocated to a specialist injury lawyer in Leatherhead who can ensure that your claim is dealt with on a 100% no win no fee basis.
If you want to find out quickly if you can make an injury claim, it’s simple and easy to take part in their unique 30 second on line test!
Date Published: 5th October 2013
Author: David Brown