If you have a car accident, what should you do? Many people are aware of what they are legally required to do after an accident happens, the first thing being to stop at the scene.
But when it comes to doing things that might be to our benefit later on, especially if we want to make a claim for compensation through an accident lawyer in Cwmbran, a lot of us have no idea.
What to do at the scene: the essentials
At Accident Advice Helpline, we think it’s important that people are armed with as much information as possible. Whether you have been in an accident or not, the following tips may be of use to you.
1) Stop at the scene. This seems a pretty common sense thing to do, but – unbelievably – some people drive off. That’s illegal, so please don’t even think about it.
2) Switch off your engine.
3) Put your hazard warning lights on. Do you know where the hazard warning lights button is in your car? Make sure you do, because you never know when you might need it.
4) Call the police there and then if:
- Anyone has been injured
- Any disruption to the traffic has been caused by the accident
5) Call an ambulance if anyone is injured enough to need urgent medical treatment.
Get the other party’s details
The next step is to make sure that you have the other driver’s details – name, address, contact number, and insurance company – and that they have yours.
You should also gather names and numbers from witnesses. Car accidents are often seen by passers-by or people looking through their windows, so make sure you approach people. Their accounts of what happened could prove useful to you if you decide to make a claim through an accident lawyer in Cwmbran.
Making your claim
Once you’ve reported the accident to the police (within 24 hours), and you’ve been checked out by a doctor, you will probably need to get some rest. Please do get as much rest as you can – and while you’re recovering, you might want to consider starting your claim.
With Accident Advice Helpline, you can begin whenever you like, because we have a 24/7 hotline that is fully staffed by professional, friendly advisers.
If you qualify to claim, your advisor will pass your details to one of our team of lawyers, who will get to work as soon as they can on your behalf. All our solicitors work on a ‘no win, no fee’ basis, too.
Searching for the best accident lawyer in Cwmbran? Contact Accident Advice Helpline today
To get in touch with an expert accident lawyer in Cwmbran, call our hotline or send us a text now:
- Dial 0800 689 0500 from a landline
- Dial 0333 500 0993 from a mobile
- Text ‘claim365′ to 88010
We look forward to helping you with your claim.