You can’t be too careful these days. What with online fraud, street crime and road accidents on the up, the world can be a very dangerous place to be. No matter how much care you take in your day-to-day life, sometimes accidents happen that aren’t your fault and leave you injured and unable to carry on life as normal. If you need to make an accident compensation claim, read on.
If you have had an accident that was not your fault, then you are within your rights to start proceedings to make an accident compensation claim, which can help you to redress the balance and give you the money you need to start getting better.
What can an accident compensation claim do for you?
When you are injured in an accident, the repercussions throughout your life can be felt far and wide. Maybe you are unable to work or look after the house as you used to. Maybe you cannot drive or participate in a sport you used to enjoy. Whatever the implications, getting hurt in an accident is no laughing matter and you deserve to be paid back. Here are just some of the things that an accident compensation claim can help to fund:
- Travel expenses to medical appointments or other places;
- Childcare if you are unable to look after your family;
- Home help to keep on top of the housework while you are hurt;
- Private nursing so you can be cared for at home instead of miles away;
- Prescription charges and expenses of over-the-counter medicines;
- Adaptations to your home and car if you need extra assistance;
- Replacement for income that is lost through being unable to work;
- Respite leave, for example a holiday somewhere warm to help you recover;
- Money to retrain if you are permanently unable to work in your profession; and
- Expenses for relatives and friends who are travelling to visit you and help out.
There are many other things for which clients of Accident Advice Helpline have used their accident compensation claim payments, and your own needs will be individual to you. Whatever you think you could use the money for, it is rightfully yours to claim so don’t lose that right by leaving it too long.
When to make an accident compensation claim
The rule of thumb really is the sooner, the better. The sooner after your accident you report it to Accident Advice Helpline, the sooner we can start gathering evidence to support your case and ensure you win all the compensation to which you are entitled. However, we also deal with a lot of cases that happened some time ago, and if your accident happened in the last three years then you are still entitled to claim.
There are some exceptions to the three-year rule. For instance, if you were a minor at the time of the accident, you have three years from when you become an adult at 18 in which to make your claim. For those who are suffering industrial diseases, the period can be even longer. If you are unsure whether you can claim, give us a call today and we can help you find out. Alternatively, take our 30-second test to give you an initial idea.
If you would rather speak to an adviser and discuss your accident in more detail then just dial 0800 689 0500 free from your landline, or 0333 500 0993 from a mobile .