If you are unlucky enough to be an innocent victim of a violent crime, then this can be devastating and extremely upsetting. Here at Accident Advice Helpline, we understand how traumatic your experience must have been, so call our friendly advisors so you can discuss with them about making accident claims in Northumberland.
What is the Criminal Injuries Compensation Scheme?
The Criminal Injuries Compensation Scheme is government funding to compensate the innocent victims of violent crimes. We all realise that no amount of money can make up for the experience that you have been through, but it is hoped it can help you financially.
The Criminal Injury Compensation Authority (CICA) administers the scheme. The amount of compensation that you will get is awarded and decided by parliament who decide on set amounts for each type of injury.
What the scheme pays for
The scheme pays for:
- Fatal injuries, including loss of parental services and financial dependency
- Funeral payments
- Personal injury following a single incident
- Personal injury following a period of abuse
- Loss of earnings
- Special expenses payments – to cover specific injury-related requirements which are not free of charge from any source
The CICA should be your last resort for compensation, but they will step in if you do not know who the assailant was, or if the criminal dies not have the means to pay you.
The criteria you should fit to make accident claims in Northumberland with the CICA
They are very strict about the criteria, after all it is public funds they are paying out, so you must be:
- Sustained a mental injury as a result of witnessing or being involved in the immediate aftermath of an incident in which a loved one is injured
- Are the qualifying relative of a victim who has died from injuries caused by a crime of violence
- Were a direct victim of a crime of violence
- Were not to blame for the incident
- Sustained an injury while taking an exceptional and justified risk, while trying to remedy or prevent a crime
Accident Advice Helpline
We have in-house solicitors with a wealth of knowledge and experience, for them personal injury compensation claims, of all types, are a daily occurrence. When making any accident claims in Northumberland you need the best on your side and with our solicitors you will have exactly that.
Speak to one of our advisers on our freephone number: 0800 689 0500, you will find them friendly, professional, and compassionate, and your conversation will be confidential.
After a chat with them you will be under no obligation to proceed unless you want to.
Being the victim of a violent crime is a very traumatic experience without having to go through the stress of claiming the compensation you are due.
The CICA make the scheme complicated, and quite rightly so – they need to know the money is only being paid to victims who genuinely deserve it.
Date Published: 2nd June 2014