How much could you claim?

Find out in 30 seconds...
Injured in the last 3 years?
Was the accident your fault?
Did you recieve medical attention?
Please tell us where you were injured
  • Please enter your full name
  • Please enter a valid name
  • Please enter your telephone number
  • Please enter a valid telephone number
  • Please read our Terms & Conditions

    "If you've been injured through no fault of your own you could be entitled to compensation. If you're unsure if you could claim, I recommend you call Accident Advice Helpline."

    Esther Rantzen

    Accident Claim Abroad

    More people than ever before are venturing abroad either on holiday or to work. However, as more people are visiting different countries, accidents do happen whether it’s a slip, trip or fall, you can still claim compensation on your return home. However, pursuing an accident claim abroad can be complicated so you need an experienced solicitor on your side to put together your claim. Furthermore, accident claims abroad are usually dependent upon the law of the country in which the accident happened which will inevitably impact on your entitlement and how much you can claim. Nevertheless particular regulations and organisations have been set up which facilitate this process and make it easier for you to pursue an accident claim abroad. One particular regulation, implemented in 1992, protects those who have booked a package holiday and allows them to make a claim for their injuries back in the UK.

    When you have booked a package holiday, those individuals which you come into contact with such as the hotel managers, the travel representatives and others need to ensure that the services they are providing are safe. The hotel where you stay needs to be clean, hygienic and tour operators have a duty of care to ensure that the hotel you are going to is safe for you and your family. They also need to ensure your safety whilst travelling to and from the airport or on pre-booked excursions to prevent you from making an accident claim abroad.

    Types of accident claim abroad

    Accidents whilst on holiday don’t just include those sustained while in the hotel grounds or complex; they can occur anywhere, travelling in a bus or car whether rented or being driven by a tour operator or a slip or trip around the pool or in the hotel itself. Typical situations where you can pursue an accident claim abroad include but are not limited to:

    • Slippery flooring such as around the pool or inside the hotel
    • Travel injuries including those sustained when out on a day trip or tour
    • Food poisoning as a direct result of food consumed on the hotel premises
    • Poor hygiene in the hotel resulting in illness of you and your family
    • Accidents sustained whilst participating in water sports, riding, or skiing activities

    It does not necessarily mean that if you have an accident outside of the EU you cannot submit an accident claim abroad, Accident Advice Helpline will review your circumstances and offer the very best advice to help you recoup the compensation that you are entitled to. However, in order to make a full assessment we need to obtain as much information as possible including whether you sought any medical treatment abroad and whether this incurred any costs. Try to take some photographs of the accident if possible, write down a description of the area where the accident happened and your recollection of events as soon as practicable after the event. Note down whether there were any witnesses and take their contact information if possible. It is easier to note all of this information down as soon as you can to prevent important elements from being omitted which could add great depth to your claim when you return home.

    Date Published: 16th October 2012

    Author: David Brown

    Accident Advice Helpline (or AAH) is a trading style of Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited. Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with registration number 07931918, VAT 142 8192 16, registered office Dempster Building, Atlantic Way, Brunswick Business Park, Liverpool, L3 4UU and is an approved Alternative Business Structure authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority with licence number 591058 and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

    Disclaimer: This website contains content contributed by third parties, therefore any opinions, comments or other information expressed on this site that do not relate to the business of AAHDL or its associated companies should be understood as neither being held or endorsed by this business.

    No-Win No-Fee: *Subject to insurance costs. Fee payable if case not pursued at client's request.