How much could you claim?

Find out in 30 seconds...
Injured in the last 3 years?
Was the accident your fault?
Did you recieve medical attention?
Please tell us where you were injured
  • Please enter your full name
  • Please enter a valid name
  • Please enter your telephone number
  • Please enter a valid telephone number
  • Please read our Terms & Conditions

    "If you've been injured through no fault of your own you could be entitled to compensation. If you're unsure if you could claim, I recommend you call Accident Advice Helpline."

    Esther Rantzen

    Accident at a college

    Accidents at college are more common than you might think. Every year, hundreds of students and tutors are caught in the crossfire of the busy college environment, and find themselves injured through no fault of their own. If you have been injured in an accident at college, and it was not your fault, there is a good chance that our team of personal injury experts, here at Accident Advice Helpline, could help you claim personal injury compensation. You may have suffered minor or more serious injuries and be left wondering whether or not you are eligible to make a personal injury claim. We can offer the advice you are looking for and help you to get the compensation you are entitled to, provided it has been three years or less since your accident happened.

    Claiming for an accident at college

    If you have been injured at college, you may be wondering if you could claim personal injury compensation. Basically, you could be entitled to compensation if the accident you were injured in was caused by someone other than yourself, and it took place in the last three years. Usually, it is only possible to make a claim if you have visited a medical professional and have an official record of your injuries. This medical report, which we can obtain from your doctor or the medical professional responsible for your treatment, will provide useful evidence if you decide to make a personal injury claim.

    If you were under 18 when you sustained your injury, you will normally have three years from the date of your 18th birthday to make a claim.

    What kind of accidents can I claim for?

    The types of accidents that could occur in a college are vast, but it should be possible to claim for any of them providing that you can prove the negligence of another party was responsible for your accident and injury. It may be that a member of staff or another student was responsible for your accident at a college, and if you have sustained injuries then you are entitled to compensation, regardless of who was actually to blame.

    Common injuries that could be sustained from an accident in a college include:

    Open Claim Calculator

    • Broken bones
    • Head injuries
    • Sprains
    • Cuts and bruises
    • Food poisoning

    You could suffer food poisoning after eating in the college canteen – this is something that many people don’t realise you could claim personal injury compensation for. Broken bones, strains and sprains are often the result of a slip, trip or fall, for example slipping on a wet floor which has recently been cleaned or tripping over trailing cables in the computer lab. In all these cases, these accidents could have been prevented had a little care been taken. This means that we can safely say that negligence occurred which led to the accidents and subsequent injuries.


    One question we are often asked is who is liable for an accident at a college? The answer to this is usually the college. However, in the case of something like an injury from faulty equipment, it could be either the college or the manufacturer who is responsible for your injuries. You don’t need to be 100% certain who was responsible for your accident, so don’t let this deter you from getting in touch with us. Accident Advice Helpline’s team has over 16 years’ industry experience, so if you talk to us, we’ll be able to work out who is liable for your accident and tell you whether or not you have a viable personal injury claim.

    Report your injuries

    Reporting an accident at a college is something that you must do if you want to help your case. Having an official record of your accident and injury will always help your case, if you decide to make a claim. It’s the responsibility of the college to keep a record of your accident in their accident book. Even if you have sustained minor injuries such as cuts and bruises, a record of this still needs to be kept. We may need to see this if you decide to make a claim for personal injury compensation. Similarly, it is important that you seek treatment for injuries sustained from an accident at a college. You may need emergency medical treatment for serious injuries, whilst for more minor injuries, a visit to your GP may suffice.

    Claiming compensation

    Claiming compensation for an accident at a college is easy to do when you contact our experts here at Accident Advice Helpline. We can offer you advice on everything from whether you have a claim, to how much compensation you could be entitled to. If you’d like to find out more about how much compensation you could be entitled to claim, you can take the 30-second test on our website. This will give you a basic idea of what you could receive, should your claim be successful. The only way to find out for sure exactly how much you could receive is to proceed with a claim, where our expert lawyers will then look at the circumstances of your accident, and your injuries, in more detail.

    How much does it cost to make a claim?

    If you are worried about the cost of claiming for an accident at a college, you will be pleased to know that Accident Advice Helpline’s professional personal injury lawyers work on a 100% no-win, no-fee* basis, so you will not have to pay anything upfront. This means that even if you are paying for the cost of your personal injury claim yourself, you won’t need to worry about finding the funds from your student loan to do so. With no upfront fees to worry about, claiming compensation is affordable for anybody.

    Get in touch with us today

    Whether you want to know more about how to stay safe at a college, or you want to discuss a compensation claim, just call Accident Advice Helpline on 0800 689 0500, or if you are using a mobile, on 0333 500 0993, today.

    Date Published: 28th July 2016

    Author: Rebecca Smith

    Category: Accident at a college

    Accident Advice Helpline (or AAH) is a trading style of Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited. Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with registration number 07931918, VAT 142 8192 16, registered office Dempster Building, Atlantic Way, Brunswick Business Park, Liverpool, L3 4UU and is an approved Alternative Business Structure authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority with licence number 591058 and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

    Disclaimer: This website contains content contributed by third parties, therefore any opinions, comments or other information expressed on this site that do not relate to the business of AAHDL or its associated companies should be understood as neither being held or endorsed by this business.

    No-Win No-Fee: *Subject to insurance costs. Fee payable if case not pursued at client's request.