How much could you claim?

Find out in 30 seconds...
Injured in the last 3 years?
Was the accident your fault?
Did you recieve medical attention?
Please tell us where you were injured
  • Please enter your full name
  • Please enter a valid name
  • Please enter your telephone number
  • Please enter a valid telephone number
  • Please read our Terms & Conditions

    "If you've been injured through no fault of your own you could be entitled to compensation. If you're unsure if you could claim, I recommend you call Accident Advice Helpline."

    Esther Rantzen

    Aberdeen accident injury

    Reporting an accident need not be a complicated affair, but what exactly is it that you should do in the event that you are involved in a car accident? There are a few things to do before calling an accident solicitor, if you are to stay within the law following an accident.

    How To Report Your Aberdeen Accident Injury

    If you are ever involved in a road traffic accident and you were driving, if any of the following applies:

    • Somebody other than yourself is injured
    • There is damage caused to another vehicle
    • An animal has been killed or injured, that was not in your vehicle at the time

    Then you must…

    • Stop and remain at the scene for a reasonable period (time enough for others to be notified, details to be left and so on)
    • Give your vehicle registration number, your name and address and that of the vehicle owner (if the vehicle is not yours), to anyone with reasonable grounds for asking for those details (such as the property owner, other vehicle owner, a police officer)

    If you do not exchange details at the scene, then you must report the accident at a police station or to a police officer within 24 hours. If an injury is caused to another person, then you must also…

    • Produce your certificate of insurance, if anyone at the scene has reasonable grounds to see it.  If you do not produce it, or you do not have it with you, then you must do so at a police station or to a police officer within 24 hours.  If you do not have a copy of your certificate then you must nominate a police station and return there within 7 seven days with a copy.

    Note: Reporting the accident to the police by telephone is not acceptable; neither is asking somebody else to report it for you.

    Open Claim Calculator

    Failing To Comply Could Land You In Court

    Failing to comply with these obligations can mean that you are committing two offences: failing to stop and failing to report. It is possible to be found guilty of either or both. The court also has the power to disqualify you from driving for either offence and is likely to do so when both offences are committed on the same occasion. There is also the possibility of jail; each offence can carry a maximum of six months’ imprisonment.

    In addition, if someone holds you responsible for the accident then they have the right to request your insurance details – failing to provide that information, without a reasonable excuse, is also an offence.

    Making a claim for your accident

    Lastly, always make sure that you report the accident with your insurance company as soon as possible. If it the accident was not your fault then you may be eligible to make an Aberdeen accident injury claim. Call Accident Advice Helpline on 0800 689 0500 or from your mobile on 0333 500 0993.

    Date Published: 4th August 2013

    Author: David Brown

    Accident Advice Helpline (or AAH) is a trading style of Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited. Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with registration number 07931918, VAT 142 8192 16, registered office Dempster Building, Atlantic Way, Brunswick Business Park, Liverpool, L3 4UU and is an approved Alternative Business Structure authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority with licence number 591058 and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

    Disclaimer: This website contains content contributed by third parties, therefore any opinions, comments or other information expressed on this site that do not relate to the business of AAHDL or its associated companies should be understood as neither being held or endorsed by this business.

    No-Win No-Fee: *Subject to insurance costs. Fee payable if case not pursued at client's request.