If you have suffered injuries after an industrial accident or exposure to harmful substances that have left you with a disease or condition, then you may find you’re eligible to claim industrial injury compensation.

What is industrial injury compensation?

Industrial injury compensation is compensation which you could receive if you have sustained injuries after an accident at work or been diagnosed with an industrial disease. In order to make a personal injury claim, you’ll need the services of a specialist personal injury lawyer; ideally one with experience in the industrial injury claims sector.

Accident Advice Helpline has over 16 years’ experience helping members of the public to claim compensation for industrial injuries, so if you or a member of your family has suffered, we can help you to get the compensation you are entitled to. You may have been injured whilst working in a factory, a warehouse or some other type of industrial environment, but the only way to find out if you have a viable claim is to get in touch with us after your accident.

  • Established for over 15 years

What is the definition of an industrial injury?

We are asked this question a lot, and if you have been injured in an accident at work, you may find yourself wondering whether your injuries meet the definition of an industrial injury. An industrial injury is defined as ‘an injury that is caused by an accident at work or is related to the type of work someone does.’ So this type of injury could relate to accident in almost any type of workplace, from offices and shops to factories, construction sites and warehouses. If you think that you have suffered an industrial injury, it’s important to report this to your employer, no matter how minor your injuries are.

Any accidents need to be recorded in a workplace accident book (it’s the law) and this can provide useful evidence if you later decide to make a claim. If you have been seriously injured or diagnosed with an industrial disease, there may be a need for your employer to report this to the relevant organisations such as the Health and Safety Executive (HSE), who may carry out an investigation into the safety of your workplace. An industrial injury could cover almost any type of injury, from a sprained ankle after a slip or trip at work to long-term damage such as hand arm vibration syndrome (HAVS), industrial deafness, tendonitis or asbestos poisoning.

Can I make a claim for an industrial injury or illness?

The good news is that yes, provided somebody else, such as your employer, is to blame for your illness or injury, then you should be able to make a claim with Accident Advice Helpline. There is a three-year time limit in place for all claims, and we’ll need to gather evidence which proves that your employer has been negligent. Your employer has a duty of care to keep you safe at work, whether you are a full-time or part-time employee or even a self-employed contractor. If they could have done more to prevent your accident from happening then we can help you to make a claim for industrial injury compensation after your accident.

The law states that employers are responsible for the safety of staff whilst they are at work, and if you feel that your employer has been negligent or has breached health and safety legislation, you could consider reporting them to the HSE, as well as getting in touch with us to make a personal injury claim.

What if I have suffered minor industrial injuries?

Industrial injuries are not always life-changing injuries such as industrial deafness. You may have suffered a minor back injury after slipping on a wet floor in a factory, or broken your ankle after tripping on uneven flooring whilst working in a shop. Although these are relatively minor injuries, you are still entitled to make a claim for compensation if you sought medical attention, and if somebody else was responsible for your accident. If you’re in any doubt about whether or not you are eligible to claim compensation for your injuries, it is always best to contact us to get advice – there is no obligation to proceed with a claim, but you will find out whether or not you have a viable claim.

What is the next step to making a claim?

After your accident, your first priority is obviously to get the medical attention and treatment that you need. For some people, this may mean surgery or time spent recovering in hospital, whilst for others a trip to the GP may be all that is required. It’s important to seek medical attention for your injuries and to take the time you need to recover after your accident. You may be worried about rushing back to work if your pay has been affected by your time off, but bear in mind that you can make a personal injury claim for loss of earnings, which can help you out financially until you are feeling fit, healthy and ready to return to your job.

Once you are on the road to recovery, it’s a good idea to contact a personal injury lawyer as soon as possible. We can give you confidential advice and answer any questions that you may have about the claims process. You can even take the 30-second test on our website, which will give you an idea of how much compensation you could be entitled to receive if your claim for industrial injury compensation is successful.

Why should I make a claim?

We are often asked this question, and the answer is simpler than you might think. If you have been injured as a direct result of somebody else’s negligence, then there is no need for you to suffer in silence. Employers have a responsibility towards their employees, and by failing to report an accident or make a personal injury claim, you are effectively letting them ‘get away with it’ when it comes to their obligations. This could mean that improvements to health and safety at work are not made, putting other members of staff at risk in the future.

You will have suffered losses as a result of taking time off work after your accident – for example, you may have suffered lost earnings, and you may have had to pay for medical treatment or the cost of travelling to appointments at the hospital or with a physiotherapist. Why should you have to shoulder these costs alone, when somebody else was responsible for your accident? Accident Advice Helpline believes that anybody who has been injured as a result of somebody else’s negligence should make a personal injury claim.

What is no-win, no-fee*?

You’ll often see personal injury lawyers advertising their services as ‘no-win, no-fee*’, but what does this actually mean, and what are the benefits for you when you make a personal injury claim? Accident Advice Helpline’s lawyers provide a 100% no-win, no-fee* service. All this means is that you don’t have to pay expensive legal fees when you come to us with your claim. There are no upfront fees to worry about at all – in fact, you won’t have to pay anything until your claim is completed.

If your claim is successful then your fees will be covered out of your personal injury settlement. We offer this service to ensure that anybody who is entitled to claim compensation can afford to do so, as far fewer people would make a claim each year if they could not afford to pay lawyers’ fees.

How much compensation could I receive?

When you make a claim for industrial injury compensation, you will be assigned to work with one of our professional lawyers – our team has been helping people for over 16 years, and we’ll always try to assign you a lawyer with experience handling industrial injury claims, if you have been injured in a workplace accident. Claims are processed on an individual basis, and there are always a number of different factors to take into account. This means it’s hard to say exactly how much industrial injury compensation you could receive for your injuries, although your lawyer will be able to look at past claims as a rough guide.

You could take the 30-second test on our website for an idea of what you could be entitled to claim, but bear in mind that this could change once we have discussed the circumstances of your accident with you in more detail. We’ll take into account things like:

  • How serious your injuries are
  • How your injuries have impacted your life, both now and in the future
  • How much time you have taken off work
  • Whether you will be fit to return to work
  • Any financial losses you’ve suffered, for example loss of earnings, the cost of medical treatment and care both now and on an ongoing basis, and so on
  • Your pain and suffering
  • Any treatment you have needed and the estimated recovery period after your accident

Looking at all these different factors allows us to customise your personal injury settlement, to ensure that you are receiving the right amount of industrial injury compensation for your injuries. As a general rule, the more serious your injuries, the more compensation you could receive. For example, somebody who has suffered asbestosis or mesothelioma after working with asbestos could expect to receive more compensation than somebody who has sprained their ankle after a trip at work.

Will I have to go to court to make a claim?

One thing that many people worry about when they consider making a claim for industrial injury compensation is the fact that they may need to go to court. The good news is that with most claims for industrial injury compensation, there won’t be any need to go to court. The majority of claims can be processed over the phone and settled out of court, giving you one less thing to worry about. If you do need to go to court, you will have the very best personal injury lawyers from Accident Advice Helpline supporting you throughout the process.

Can I lose my job?

You can’t be fired for making a claim for industrial injury compensation and your employer will be well aware of this. There are regulations in place to protect anybody who decides to make a personal injury claim against their employer, and the company you work for will have liability insurance in place that is designed to pay out in the event a member of staff makes a claim. So you really have nothing to worry about – and you are perfectly within your rights to claim if your employer’s negligence has caused your accident.

Remember that you can claim for lost earnings after your accident, even if you have been receiving statutory sick pay (SSP). SSP is only payable for two months and will normally only equate to a fraction of your regular earnings, so making a personal injury claim is still a good idea.

How can I get started with my claim?

Whether you are suffering from industrial deafness after exposure to loud noise at work or have suffered a minor injury after a workplace accident, the best way to get started with your claim for industrial injury compensation is to get in touch with Accident Advice Helpline. It is free to call our helpline on 0800 689 0500 (or 0333 500 0993 from a mobile) to find out more about making a claim, and there’s no obligation to proceed if you change your mind at any point. We encourage anybody who has suffered industrial injuries after an accident to get in touch with us, as you may be eligible to make a claim and not have realised.

Remember though that there is a three-year time limit in place for all claims, regardless of your injuries, and this time limit can only be exceeded in very rare cases. When you call us, you can ask any questions you have about the claims process or just get advice and find out if you have a viable claim. We have a great track record of success, and we’re confident that we will be able to get you the compensation you are entitled to after your accident.