A paper shredding company has received a fine after an employee who was new to working at the premises suffered severe hand injuries while using a shredding machine. The incident happened on 31st December 2013 at the Shred-It Limited premises in Buckinghamshire.
Stuart Rolls was a new employee, having only worked for the company for two weeks. He had been left alone in the shredder compartment of the shredding machine and was attempting to free some paper that had got stuck in the machine. In doing so his right hand was injured on the shredder knives. The incident led to him losing a finger, the top part of a second finger and part of his thumb.
A five-figure fine
The severe hand injuries led to the company appearing in court recently, where they were fined £18,000 for a breach of the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974. In addition to the fine they were requested to pay £1,375 in court costs along with a victim surcharge of £120. It was found that Shred-It Limited had failed to prevent anyone from accessing the more dangerous parts of the shredding machine.
This incident was clearly life-changing and resulted in the loss of several parts of Mr Rolls’ hand as a result. It was also entirely preventable and the Health and Safety Executive discovered the breach of the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974 after inspecting the machinery that had been involved in the incident.
Moving on from such an incident
Clearly this would have been very upsetting for Mr Rolls and it resulted in injuries that he cannot fully recover from. He will have to continue to go through life with the outcome of those injuries affecting his right hand.
This shows how important it is to ensure you always have proper protection on such machines to ensure no one is in any potential danger while using them.
Source: Health and Safety Executive
Date Published: July 27, 2015
Author: Rob Steen