A lack of training led to a gas cylinder explosion and a worker suffering major injuries.
Serious leg injuries
Blackpool-based J & R Gases Limited, a beverage gas supply company, has now been fined after the explosion left a worker with life-changing leg injuries.
The employee was filling mixed-gas cylinders that are used for dispensing drinks in restaurants and pubs, Blackpool Magistrates’ Court heard.
The worker was connecting the cylinders to a high-pressure filling system when one of the cylinders exploded.
Poor planning and training
The work hadn’t been properly planned, while the investigation by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) found there was a lack of thorough pre-fill checks of the cylinders.
It also found that the injured worker hadn’t received adequate training or instruction as to how to undertake robust pre-fill cylinder checks.
HSE inspector Steven Boyd said: “Robust pre-fill checks of high pressure cylinders should be undertaken before they are filled and workers must be informed of this.
“The injured worker should have received adequate training, instruction and supervision to be able to carry out their work safely but the company failed to fully do this. As a result of the company’s failings, a person has been left with life-changing injuries.”
J & R Gases Limited was found guilty of a breach of Section 2 (1) of the Health and Safety at Work etc. Act 1974.The company has been fined £40,000 and ordered to pay £5,932 in costs.
Reference: Health and Safety Executive
Date Published: September 11, 2017
Author: Jonathan Brown