A life of a West Sussex employee has changed forever since a horrific work accident, a court heard.
The unnamed man, of Goring-by-Sea, suffered fractures to his skull, wrist and arm, broke several ribs and also sustained brain damage after plunging six metres (19ft 8ins) through a precarious rooflight.
In addition, he no longer has a sense of taste and smell, Eastbourne magistrates were told on Friday March 6.
He today cannot work after suffering deafness in one ear and cannot see properly through one eye. He spent almost two months in hospital, much of it in a medically prompted coma.
Magistrates fined Surrey-based Cleansafe Services (UK) Ltd £60,000 last week after hearing that safety regulations were broken in the December 2013 incident.
The cleaning firm, from Croydon, was accused in court of taking “grossly inadequate” safety precautions which led to the fall.
It sent the man to Eastbourne as part of a small crew to undertake contract cleaning of a vehicle rental office’s two-dozen acrylic rooflights.
The injured employee and a colleague had only half-a-dozen boards on which to stand as they jet-washed the rooflights.
His fall onto a concrete floor came very soon after going back up on the roof, having come down to view the job they had made of the first two lights.
He stepped onto a rooflight but the acrylic was not strong enough to hold and he fell.
The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) investigated then prosecuted following the incident and its prohibition notice served on the firm stopped it working until safety steps had been fitted.
Cleansafe should have rented a portable working platform with extended reach, so workers did not have to go onto the roof, said the HSE. It could also have employed suitable crawling boards, complete with netting and handrails.
Cleansafe was also told to pay costs of £5,741 after admitting it broke Work at Height Regulations three times.
Source: Health and Safety Executive