How much could you claim?

Find out in 30 seconds...
Injured in the last 3 years?
Was the accident your fault?
Did you receive medical attention?
Please tell us where you were injured
  • Please enter your full name
  • Please enter a valid name
  • Please enter your telephone number
  • Please enter a valid telephone number
  • **Required

    "If you've been injured through no fault of your own you could be entitled to compensation. If you're unsure if you could claim, I recommend you call Accident Advice Helpline."

    Esther Rantzen

    Spillages in the workplace — who is responsible?

    Spillages in the workplace — who is responsible?

    Employers have a legal obligation to ensure that their employees work in a healthy and safe environment. Spillages in the workplace fall under this obligation. Additionally, they are also charged with the responsibility of developing preventative measures in order to minimise or eliminate the risks of accidents in the workplace. Part of this responsibility involves making sure that all of their employees receive adequate instruction, information and training to do their work and to follow the necessary safety procedures.

    With this in mind, it is easy to see that employers should put measures in place to make certain that spillages in the workplace do not occur. In workplaces where such spillages are unavoidable, for example in companies dealing with oil or grease, the employer is required to minimise the danger posed by spills as much as possible in order to prevent accidents. This can be done in a variety of ways, including installing slip-resistant flooring, providing employees with appropriate footwear and improving the lighting in such areas.

    Dangers of spillages in the workplace

    If none of these measures are taken, you may slip, fall and sustain injuries as a result of the spillage. A number of injuries might be caused by such accidents. These include various sprains and fractures, knee and hip injuries, as well as head, neck and back injuries. Some of these might be short-lived, while others may cause long-term or life-long complications.

    Reporting workplace accidents

    In some cases, employees are unwilling to report accidents in which they have been involved for fear of losing their jobs. However, reporting an accident caused by spillages or other hazards ensures that you are in a better position to file a compensation claim.

    The first step is to record your accident in the company’s accident book. You should do this even if you consider your injuries to be minor. Accidents that result in more serious injuries such as compound fractures and amputations should also be reported to the Health and Safety Executive (HSE). Normally, the employer should notify the HSE, but if you think that this will not happen then you can contact the organisation yourself.

    Claiming compensation for accidents caused by spillages in the workplace

    When injuries in the workplace occur due to your employer’s negligence, it is within your rights as an employee to file a claim for industrial injury compensation. This is important for the following reasons:

    • If you sustained injuries due to a spillage accident, the compensation will cover any financial costs you incur as a result of the injury. This will include medical fees, loss of income while recuperating and the cost of home care if you are incapacitated. It will also go a long way towards easing the psychological and physical toll of the injuries.
    • The claim will force your employer to take notice and to make important changes that will lead to a safer and healthier workplace for everyone.

    Here at Accident Advice Helpline, we have a wealth of experience in helping thousands of people who have suffered from industrial injuries to make successful compensation claims. Contact us on 0800 689 0500, or 0333 500 0993 from a mobile, to help with your claim.

    Accident Advice Helpline (or AAH) is a trading name of Slater and Gordon UK Limited, a company registered in England & Wales with registration number 07931918, VAT 125 446 327, registered office 50/52 Chancery Lane, London WC2A 1HL and is an approved Alternative Business Structure authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority and authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority for insurance mediation activity.

    Disclaimer: This website contains content contributed by third parties, therefore any opinions, comments or other information expressed on this site that do not relate to the business of AAHDL or its associated companies should be understood as neither being held or endorsed by this business.

    No-Win No-Fee: *Subject to insurance costs. Fee payable if case not pursued at client's request.