Industrial accident compensation – The benefits

Unfortunately industrial accident compensation is claimed very frequently. For industrial accident-related injuries, you can claim specific benefits only if the accident happened in the UK and you were employed when it occurred. Before opting for a particular compensation plan, you should know that specific plans especially developed for the victims of industrial accidents might affect other benefits. If you are currently receiving income support, for instance, certain industrial benefits may annul the main condition (low income) that makes you eligible for income support. Thus, before opting for a certain type of benefit, make sure you ponder all alternatives carefully.

Types of benefits you may receive for an injury due to an industrial accident

UK law includes certain benefits for the people injured in industrial accidents. These are divided as follows:

Loss of earnings

Besides the industrial accident compensation you will receive from your employer, you can get state benefits, such as:

  • Disability Working Allowance
  • Incapacity Benefit
  • Employment and Support Allowance
  • Income Support
  • Invalidity Allowance
  • Invalidity Pension
  • Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit
  • Reduced Earnings Allowance
  • Jobseeker’s Allowance
  • Unemployment Benefit
  • Unemployability Supplement
  • Sickness Benefit

Cost of care

If you are awarded for cost of care, the compensator might reduce the compensation that he or she provides. The benefits covering the cost of care are:

  • Attendance Allowance
  • Allowance or Exceptionally Severe Disablement Allowance
  • Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit Increase for Constant Attendance
  • Disability Living Allowance
  • Personal Independence Payment

Loss of mobility

Similar to the aforementioned point, the organisation or person who pays your compensation can reduce the amount if you are awarded one of the following:

  • Mobility Allowance
  • Disability Living Allowance
  • Personal Independence Payment

Besides these, the government provides a series of benefits for the persons who suffer from certain health conditions caused by hazardous working conditions, such as exposure to asbestos.

Industrial accident compensation recovery

If you have already received compensation from your employer, you must inform the Compensation Recovery Unit. If you have also received social benefit for your injury, you must pay back to the Department for Work and Pensions the respective amount.

Filing for future industrial injury benefit

You should consider filling out special forms for future industrial injury benefit, even if you are not disabled immediately after an industrial accident. This can help you get rightful compensation if you become disabled as a result of an industrial accident at a later date. Filling out these forms does not give you the right to claim any money. However, they provide a record of the accident so you have evidence if problems arise later on.

When to claim for benefits 

Regardless of the severity of your injury, the prudent course of action would be to file a compensation claim as soon as possible after the accident. The reason for filing a claim right after an industrial accident takes place is to record that your injuries were caused by that particular accident. If no claim is filed, you may be unable to ask for benefits later on.

One thing you can do to find out more about making an industrial accident compensation claim is to contact Accident Advice Helpline. Our initial advice is free and you have no obligation to proceed with your claim after talking to our legal advisers.

  • Was this Helpful ?
  • Yes   No

How much you could claim?

Two QUICK ways to find:
  1. Call us at 0800 689 0500 or 0333 500 0993 from your mobile OR
  2. Use our Claim Calculator

Disclaimer: This website contains content contributed by third parties, therefore any opinions, comments or other information expressed on this site that do not relate to the business of AAHDL or its associated companies should be understood as neither being held or endorsed by this business.
Claim Calculator
Find out in 30 seconds how much YOU could claim...
  • Please tell us where you were injured
  • Please enter your full name
  • Please enter a valid name
  • Please enter your telephone number
  • Please enter a valid telephone number
  • Terms and Conditions*Required

Can I Claim?

Esther says "The law states that if you’ve been injured and someone else is to blame, you are entitled to compensation." Read more >

Claim Calculator ► Accident Types ►

How Much Could I Claim?

It only takes 30 seconds to find out how much compensation you could receive. Take the 30 second test now.>

30 Second test ► Claim Form ►

Why Choose Us?

"When they say they are 100% no-win, no-fee*, they mean it. I would recommend Accident Advice Helpline to anybody." Read more >

No-Win, No-Fee*? ► Testimonials ►

Claim Now

"They were ever so professional ... they knew exactly what I was going through ... I received over £4500." Read more >

Claim Form ► Call Me Back ►
Is there anything wrong with this page? ( Help us Improve )