How much could you claim?

Find out in 30 seconds...
Injured in the last 3 years?
Was the accident your fault?
Did you recieve medical attention?
Please tell us where you were injured
  • Please enter your full name
  • Please enter a valid name
  • Please enter your telephone number
  • Please enter a valid telephone number
  • Please read our Terms & Conditions

    "If you've been injured through no fault of your own you could be entitled to compensation. If you're unsure if you could claim, I recommend you call Accident Advice Helpline."

    Esther Rantzen

    Wet spillages and no warning sign. Eligible to claim?

    Wet spillages and no warning sign. Eligible to claim?

    Slips, trips and falls can be not only extremely embarrassing on a personal level, but also hugely damaging on a physical scale. The consequent injuries can range from bruises and sprains to broken bones and permanent debilitation.

    Whether you are injured at work or in a public place, it is always worth considering whether or not you have a case to claim for accident compensation.

    Accidents at work – Slipping on wet spillages

    The potential for injuries from slipping at work are an occupational hazard for a number of industries. Liquids have a large presence in a number of working environments, such as factories, and industrial spillages at work can cause serious injuries.

    Any spillages discovered should be dealt with as quickly as possible and their clearance made a high priority. Warning signs should be placed by the affected area making staff and visitors aware of the danger, and the mess should be cleared as soon as is practicable.

    Public slips and falls – Slipping on wet spillages

    Spills in areas like supermarkets are the responsibility of the staff. They should immediately call for the cleaning team to come and deal with the problem and minimise the risk of public injury posed to customers. Warning signs should be placed and the affected area may even need to be cordoned off to prevent any public trip accidents.

    Open Claim Calculator

    If I slip on wet spillages without a warning sign, can I make a personal injury claim?

    Victims of an accidental slip or trip courtesy of unmarked wet spillages certainly have a strong claim for accident injury compensation, but it is not a guarantee of success.

    In order for warning signs to be placed and relevant staff informed, the spillage may need to be left unattended for a brief period of time. This is particularly prevalent in the case of a supermarket spillage.

    Should the accident occur during this time, then negligence or a failure in terms of duty of care may be difficult to prove.

    Your accident claim may also suffer if the spillage was new. Whilst, of course, accidental spills should be dealt with as soon as they are discovered, it would be unreasonable to expect them to be spotted straight away.

    Accident Advice Helpline is a law firm with a wealth of successful claim cases and boasts a team of experts who can offer practical guidance and support on your road to accident compensation.

    Date Published: January 3, 2014

    Author: David Brown

    Accident Advice Helpline (or AAH) is a trading style of Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited. Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with registration number 07931918, VAT 142 8192 16, registered office Dempster Building, Atlantic Way, Brunswick Business Park, Liverpool, L3 4UU and is an approved Alternative Business Structure authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

    Disclaimer: This website contains content contributed by third parties, therefore any opinions, comments or other information expressed on this site that do not relate to the business of AAHDL or its associated companies should be understood as neither being held or endorsed by this business.

    No-Win No-Fee: *Subject to insurance costs. Fee payable if case not pursued at client's request.