How much could you claim?

Find out in 30 seconds...
Injured in the last 3 years?
Was the accident your fault?
Did you recieve medical attention?
Please tell us where you were injured
  • Please enter your full name
  • Please enter a valid name
  • Please enter your telephone number
  • Please enter a valid telephone number
  • Please read our Terms & Conditions

    "If you've been injured through no fault of your own you could be entitled to compensation. If you're unsure if you could claim, I recommend you call Accident Advice Helpline."

    Esther Rantzen

    Violence injury claim

    If you have been injured as the result of a physical attack, you may be able to make a violence injury claim. Before doing so, however, it is advisable to approach a solicitor who can assist you in compiling the evidence you need to support your case. This professional can also help you understand the rules and regulations set out in the Criminal Injuries Compensation Scheme 2012.

    Can you claim for compensation?

    According to the Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority (CICA), violence injury compensation claims can only be made for serious injuries, such as dislocations, fractures, internal injuries and sexual abuse or for multiple minor injuries, which must also include at least one serious injury. In some cases a compensation claim for psychological trauma may also be accepted.

    To be eligible for compensatory damages under this scheme, the injury must have taken place in the UK. Under the same scheme, you have the right to make a claim, even if the offender has not been located, identified or convicted. You should be aware that if you refuse to report the crime to the police, the CICA can either reject your claim for compensation or offer you a lower compensation award than you deserve. In order to stand any chance of receiving your rightful compensation you should also have co-operated with the police in the investigations carried out in relation to the crime.

    Although you must file your claim within two years of the incident to be considered for compensation, the CICA may agree to postpone or remove the deadline in some cases; for example, when the compensation claim relates to child abuse, when the consequences of psychological trauma typically surface several years after the actual act of violence.

    What we can do for you

    At Accident Advice Helpline we know how devastating an act of violence can be. The psychological and emotional trauma associated with violence related injuries can cause cognitive scars that never fully heal. You clearly deserve to be compensated for your suffering and below you can find the typical compensation claims that we are ready to pursue on your behalf.

    Open Claim Calculator

    Personal injury claims – personal injury compensation is awarded for your own suffering, whether physical or psychological. You can also claim an additional payment for special expenses and loss of earnings as a direct result of your injury.

    Fatal injuries claims – losing someone dear through a crime of violence is one of the worst experiences in life. If someone you cared about died as a result of an act of violence, we can help you file a violence injury claim to recover compensation for your loss.

    Challenging the CICA – if the CICA refuses to offer you compensation or proposes a smaller award than you believe you are entitled to receive we can help you apply for a review of your case. Since challenging the CICA’s decision can be complicated, we suggest you contact one of our legal professionals, who will know everything about the legal procedures that regulate each stage of the process.

    To discuss your claim with a member of our expert team dial 0800 689 0500 now.

    Date Published: December 29, 2013

    Author: David Brown

    Category: Criminal injury claim

    Accident Advice Helpline (or AAH) is a trading style of Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited. Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with registration number 07931918, VAT 142 8192 16, registered office Dempster Building, Atlantic Way, Brunswick Business Park, Liverpool, L3 4UU and is an approved Alternative Business Structure authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

    Disclaimer: This website contains content contributed by third parties, therefore any opinions, comments or other information expressed on this site that do not relate to the business of AAHDL or its associated companies should be understood as neither being held or endorsed by this business.

    No-Win No-Fee: *Subject to insurance costs. Fee payable if case not pursued at client's request.