How much could you claim?

Find out in 30 seconds...
Injured in the last 3 years?
Was the accident your fault?
Did you recieve medical attention?
Please tell us where you were injured
  • Please enter your full name
  • Please enter a valid name
  • Please enter your telephone number
  • Please enter a valid telephone number
  • Please read our Terms & Conditions

    "If you've been injured through no fault of your own you could be entitled to compensation. If you're unsure if you could claim, I recommend you call Accident Advice Helpline."

    Esther Rantzen

    Untraced driver claims

    Being involved in any road traffic accident is stressful enough, but being the victim of a hit and run driver is even worse, especially if you’re not sure how untraced driver claims work. Fortunately, you need have no concerns, because legislation is in place to ensure you receive the compensation you deserve.

    As long as the police are notified of the accident as soon as it happens, a doctor has treated you and you take action within the specified period of time, you stand a good chance of receiving compensation. We at Accident Advice Helpline have friendly advisers ready and waiting to assist you through the entire process.

    What happens if a driver cannot be traced?

    If the driver who caused the accident has fled the scene, you should make every effort to identify him or her. This might involve asking witnesses, the police and your insurance company for assistance. If you take these steps without success, you may be eligible to make a claim against the Motor Insurers’ Bureau (MIB).

    Under a special agreement with the Secretary of State for Transport, the MIB will compensate the victims of untraced drivers. It should be noted, however, that this compensation only applies to personal injuries and property damage, not to loss of earnings, which may be covered in other types of motor accident. What’s more, it is subject to special rules, so it is important that you take the correct action from the start in order to ensure a successful claim.

    What to do

    First of all, as with any traffic accident, the police should be notified straight away. In order for you to be able to claim compensation for your injuries, you must talk to them within two weeks. If you wish to claim for property damage, including damage to your vehicle, you must do so within five days. If you were in a vehicle at the time you must also report the accident to your own insurer as soon as possible.

    Open Claim Calculator

    If you need to claim for personal injuries, you have a three year period in which to do so. For property damage claims, the period is nine months.

    Where to get help?

    Finding yourself in this situation can be very confusing; we at Accident Advice Helpline have seen how it distresses people and are here to help. You can give us a call at any time and we will be happy to provide you with free advice. We will note the details of your individual situation and talk through the various options with you.

    If you decide that you wish to make a claim, we can help you to do so. We will put you in touch with an expert road traffic accident lawyer who has experience dealing with untraced driver claims. This means you will have strong support from the start and we will guide you through the sometimes complicated MIB claims procedure. Remember, we want to give you the best possible chance of winning your case.

    Dealing with any kind of traffic accident is hard, but we are on hand to make everything easier.

    Date Published: October 18, 2013

    Author: David Brown

    Category: Car accident claims

    Accident Advice Helpline (or AAH) is a trading style of Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited. Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with registration number 07931918, VAT 142 8192 16, registered office Dempster Building, Atlantic Way, Brunswick Business Park, Liverpool, L3 4UU and is an approved Alternative Business Structure authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

    Disclaimer: This website contains content contributed by third parties, therefore any opinions, comments or other information expressed on this site that do not relate to the business of AAHDL or its associated companies should be understood as neither being held or endorsed by this business.

    No-Win No-Fee: *Subject to insurance costs. Fee payable if case not pursued at client's request.