How much could you claim?

Find out in 30 seconds...
Injured in the last 3 years?
Was the accident your fault?
Did you recieve medical attention?
Please tell us where you were injured
  • Please enter your full name
  • Please enter a valid name
  • Please enter your telephone number
  • Please enter a valid telephone number
  • Please read our Terms & Conditions

    "If you've been injured through no fault of your own you could be entitled to compensation. If you're unsure if you could claim, I recommend you call Accident Advice Helpline."

    Esther Rantzen

    Health and Safety News

    Unsafe gas flue endangered lives

    By Jonathan Brown on September 11, 2015

    Unsafe gas flue endangered lives

    Incorrect work on a gas flue during the extension of a residential property put lives at risk, a court has been told.

    Wedgewood Design and Build Limited, the company responsible for the work at the property on Greenside Road, in West London, admitted breaching gas safety regulations during the build between June 2013 and June 2014.

    The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) said harmful gases could have easily seeped back into the house.

    Wrong type of pipe

    A gas flue is a pipe or channel through which gases from appliances like fireplaces, ovens, furnaces, boilers or steam generators are released.

    In this case, the extension work across the full width of the house required the gas flue to be repositioned.

    Southwark Crown Court heard how the company extended the existing gas flue but boxed it in to an empty space, meaning there was no way it could be examined. It also used an incorrect type of pipe for the flue.

    Gas Safe-registered engineers need to be able to see the flue in order to carry out essential safety checks.

    Wedgewood Design and Build Limited, of Ballards Lane, London, pleaded guilty to an offence under Regulation 8 (3) of the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998. It was fined £9,000 and ordered to pay costs of £7,500.

    Safety is paramount

    Gas work must always be carried out by engineers listed on the Gas Safe Register.

    Work carried out by unregistered workers has the potential to lead to carbon monoxide poisoning, often known as a silent killer because the gas is colourless and odourless, making it difficult to detect.

    Explosions and fires can also result from unsafe work, causing serious burns and extensive internal injuries or even death.

    Landlords are responsible for rented properties, while it is up to homeowners to make sure their property is safe.

    Source: Health and Safety Executive

    Share On


    Date Published: September 11, 2015

    Author: Jonathan Brown

    Category: News

    Accident Advice Helpline (or AAH) is a trading style of Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited. Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with registration number 07931918, VAT 142 8192 16, registered office Dempster Building, Atlantic Way, Brunswick Business Park, Liverpool, L3 4UU and is an approved Alternative Business Structure authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

    Disclaimer: This website contains content contributed by third parties, therefore any opinions, comments or other information expressed on this site that do not relate to the business of AAHDL or its associated companies should be understood as neither being held or endorsed by this business.

    No-Win No-Fee: *Subject to insurance costs. Fee payable if case not pursued at client's request.