Hotel guests were put at risk from unsafe boilers for nearly two years, a court has been told.
North West Mechanicals Ltd (NWML) and a senior manager at the firm were prosecuted for safety failings by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) after two new industrial boilers were installed at the Glendower Hotel in Lytham St Annes, Lancashire.
Blackpool Magistrates’ Court heard that the company had no previous experience of installing industrial boilers and was not on the Gas Safe Register when it carried out the work between November 2009 and March 2010.
Safety certificate issued
NWML was paid just over £43,000 to replace the boilers despite not being registered or having any employees who were qualified to carry out the work.
The firm did become registered in March 2010 but only to carry out domestic gas work, not commercial work.
Once the boilers had been installed, NWML arranged for a specialist engineer employed by the manufacturer to commission them. He raised concerns that the boilers had not been satisfactorily ventilated but, despite this, NWML still issued a certificate to the hotel to say the boilers were safe to use.
When a registered gas engineer from another company visited the hotel in September 2011 to carry out a routine service, he identified several faults with the installation and immediately disconnected the boilers.
Safety breach sentence
NWML was found guilty of single breaches of the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974 and the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998. The company, of Poulton-le-Fylde, was fined £20,000 and ordered to pay £11,247 in costs.
Senior contracts manager David Hanmer, 67, received two concurrent eight-week prison sentences, suspended for 12 months. Hanmer, of Thornton-Cleveleys, was also ordered to pay £8,976 in costs.
If you live in the Lancashire area and have been the victim of safety failings at work or in a public place, Accident Advice Helpline can put you in touch with personal injury lawyers in Manchester.