How much could you claim?

Find out in 30 seconds...
Injured in the last 3 years?
Was the accident your fault?
Did you recieve medical attention?
Please tell us where you were injured
  • Please enter your full name
  • Please enter a valid name
  • Please enter your telephone number
  • Please enter a valid telephone number
  • Please read our Terms & Conditions

    "If you've been injured through no fault of your own you could be entitled to compensation. If you're unsure if you could claim, I recommend you call Accident Advice Helpline."

    Esther Rantzen

    Understanding care home negligence

    As anyone who has ever had to source a care home for a loved one will know, finding somewhere suitable can be a challenge. It is extremely rare to find a care home that is not run to the highest of standards, but you may still wish to find one that is close by and offers the exact services you are looking for. Care home negligence isn’t usually something you would ever need to worry about.

    All care homes have a duty to provide safe surroundings for their residents to live in and enjoy. They must provide appropriate care and support both day and night, and adhere to the health and safety rules that apply to such residences. It is highly rare to hear of cases where someone is injured either physically or emotionally by an incident resulting from negligence.

    What is care home negligence?

    Negligence can potentially mean several things. For instance, it could mean someone has been abused by staff at a home, although we are glad to say this is incredibly rare. However, it can potentially happen. Negligence can also mean a resident is neglected, perhaps because there is insufficient staff on duty to help all the residents with their daily tasks and requirements.

    For example, a resident may need help in getting ready for bed at night, because they are unable to do so on their own. However, there may not be enough staff on duty to get around to seeing all the residents in good time, and this could be taken as negligent.

    Do you have a right to seek compensation?

    If you have been affected by the issues mentioned here, or you suspect a loved one has been subjected to care home negligence, you should seek expert advice as quickly as you can. Normally, there is a three-year limit on making claims, so it makes sense to speak to a lawyer who has experience in such cases within that time limit.

    Open Claim Calculator

    You can do so today by calling Accident Advice Helpline on 0800 689 0500, or if you prefer, calling us via your mobile on 0333 500 0993. Whichever method you use to get in contact with our team, you can rest assured you will find out more about care home negligence, and whether you could make a no-win, no-fee* claim to seek compensation for any injuries suffered.

    Date Published: March 30, 2017

    Author: Rob Steen

    Category: Medical negligence claim

    Accident Advice Helpline (or AAH) is a trading style of Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited. Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with registration number 07931918, VAT 142 8192 16, registered office Dempster Building, Atlantic Way, Brunswick Business Park, Liverpool, L3 4UU and is an approved Alternative Business Structure authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

    Disclaimer: This website contains content contributed by third parties, therefore any opinions, comments or other information expressed on this site that do not relate to the business of AAHDL or its associated companies should be understood as neither being held or endorsed by this business.

    No-Win No-Fee: *Subject to insurance costs. Fee payable if case not pursued at client's request.