The UN Decade of Action for Road Safety launched on the 11th May 2011 and aims to stabilise and reduce the number of traffic fatalities across the globe by 2020. The UN Decade of Action was launched by the UN General Assembly and is supported by 100 countries. Some facts you may not know:
- 90% of road deaths occur in developing countries
- In developing countries, injuries caused by road traffic accidents will be the main health burden for children over five by 2016
- Each year, as many as 1.3 million are killed on roads across the world
- Road traffic deaths are expected to rise to 1.9 million people a year worldwide by 2020, costing developing countries at least $100 billion every year
The Global Action Plan could save millions of lives and the Road Safety Fund has been set up to encourage donation and support from the private sector and the public. The Road Safety Fund will invest the proceeds raised in:
- Road injury prevention programmes across developing countries
- Building awareness of the scheme’s goals for injury prevention and enabling global advocacy for the scheme
Road traffic accident injuries
If you have been injured in a road traffic accident, or if someone you love has been hurt, you are probably feeling angry and frustrated if a third party was to blame for the accident. If you’re not at fault, you may be able to claim compensation, and the amount you’ll receive will take into account not only your injuries, pain and suffering, but also any medical costs you have borne and any loss of earnings. There’s a three year time limit in place to make a claim, but it’s generally a good idea to claim as soon as possible after your accident.
Accident Advice Helpline to the rescue
The team at Accident Advice Helpline can offer you confidential, no-obligation advice, whether you’ve already decided to make a claim for compensation or simply need some more advice before you make your decision. No matter how you have been injured, we can help you. There’s no need to worry about upfront fees either, as all our lawyers work on a 100% no win, no fee* basis. Because we’re accredited by the Association of Personal Injury Lawyers, you know you’ll receive the very best service, whether you have suffered minor or life-changing injuries. We know the accident compensation claims process can seem a little daunting, but we’re here to help, so call our freephone helpline today.