How much could you claim?

Find out in 30 seconds...
Injured in the last 3 years?
Was the accident your fault?
Did you receive medical attention?
Please tell us where you were injured
  • Please enter your full name
  • Please enter a valid name
  • Please enter your telephone number
  • Please enter a valid telephone number
  • **Required

    "If you've been injured through no fault of your own you could be entitled to compensation. If you're unsure if you could claim, I recommend you call Accident Advice Helpline."

    Esther Rantzen

    What is the UK road traffic accident definition?

    Road traffic accidents are sometimes referred to as an RTA or a road traffic collision (RTC) in the UK. But what is the UK road traffic accident definition? As per the Civil Procedure Rules, the UK road traffic accident definition is: ‘…[road traffic accident] means an accident resulting in bodily injury to any person or damage to property caused by, or arising out of, the use of a motor vehicle on a road or other public place in England and Wales.’ If you have been injured in a road traffic accident that was caused by somebody else, you might have cause to make a personal injury claim, and Accident Advice Helpline could help you.

    Are you eligible to make a claim?

    There are a number of questions we will ask you, and if you can say ‘yes’ to these, then you should be eligible to make a claim:

    • Were you injured in an accident that was somebody else’s fault?
    • Did your accident happen in the last three years?
    • Did you receive medical treatment for your injuries?

    There’s generally a three-year time limit in place to make a personal injury claim, but if your accident meets the UK road traffic accident definition, it makes sense to get in touch with a personal injury lawyer as soon as possible after your accident. Accident Advice Helpline’s team of professional personal injury lawyers specialises in personal injury law, which means we have the knowledge and expertise to help you claim the compensation you are entitled to.

    Who pays my personal injury claim?

    Many people miss out on making a claim for personal injury compensation, despite the fact that their accident meets the UK road traffic accident definition. You might be wondering why. One of the most common reasons for people to avoid making a personal injury claim is that they are worried they are causing an inconvenience. For example, you may have been travelling as a passenger in a vehicle with a friend or family member when they caused an accident to occur, leaving you injured as a result.

    You may worry about making a personal injury claim, as obviously you don’t want them to be left out of pocket. But there’s no need to lose sleep over this, as if your accident meets the UK road traffic accident definition and your personal injury claim is successful, their insurer will normally pay your personal injury settlement. In the case of uninsured drivers, it may still be possible to make a claim through the Motor Insurers Bureau (MIB), so just ask us for more information about this when you get in touch with us.

    How serious are your injuries?

    Injuries sustained in a road traffic accident can range from minor injuries to life-changing ones. Accident Advice Helpline has been helping people who have been injured in accidents meeting the UK road traffic accident definition since 2000, and here are some of the most common injuries we have come across during that time:

    • Whiplash (the most common injury sustained in a road traffic accident)
    • Head injuries such as concussion, a fractured skull or brain injury
    • Cuts and bruises
    • Broken bones
    • Facial lacerations (for example, from a broken windscreen)
    • Facial injuries such as fractures
    • Loss of limbs
    • Back and spinal injuries

    These are just a few of the most common types of injuries you could sustain, and of course the severity of injuries can vary from person to person. That’s why it is very difficult for us to tell you how much personal injury compensation you could be entitled to without knowing more about your accident and the injuries you have sustained.

    What to do if your accident meets the UK road traffic accident definition

    If your accident meets the UK road traffic accident definition then you could be entitled to claim personal injury compensation, provided somebody else was responsible. The best way to find out if you could make a claim is to get in touch with Accident Advice Helpline. With over 16 years’ experience handling personal injury claims, it’s our job to get you the compensation you are entitled to, and if you’re worried that you won’t be eligible, it just takes a quick call to our freephone advice line to find out if you have a viable claim. We recommend getting in touch with us as soon as possible after your accident, as you could miss out if you wait too long and miss the three-year time limit to make a claim.

    How much compensation could you get?

    Provided your accident meets the UK road traffic accident definition and somebody else was responsible for your injuries, you could have a successful personal injury claim on your hands. However, many people wonder how much compensation they receive and would like to get an idea of this before proceeding with a claim. There is no such thing as a ‘one size fits all’ personal injury settlement, and that’s because Accident Advice Helpline processes each and every claim on an individual basis; we need to take into account things like the severity of your injuries, how your injuries have impacted your life and whether or not you have needed to take time off work.

    However, we understand that sometimes you want to have a rough idea of what you might be able to claim, and so we have created the 30-second test, which you’ll find on our website. This test asks you a few brief questions and will give you a rough guide to what you could receive, if your claim is successful. Your actual settlement may vary, depending on what we discover when we assess your claim fully.

    Get in touch today

    To find out more about making a 100% no-win, no-fee* claim or see if you are eligible, why not pick up the phone and call Accident Advice Helpline today on 0800 689 0500 (or 0333 500 0993 from a mobile). We’re waiting to help you.

    Accident Advice Helpline (or AAH) is a trading name of Slater and Gordon UK Limited, a company registered in England & Wales with registration number 07931918, VAT 125 446 327, registered office 50/52 Chancery Lane, London WC2A 1HL and is an approved Alternative Business Structure authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority and authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority for insurance mediation activity.

    Disclaimer: This website contains content contributed by third parties, therefore any opinions, comments or other information expressed on this site that do not relate to the business of AAHDL or its associated companies should be understood as neither being held or endorsed by this business.

    No-Win No-Fee: *Subject to insurance costs. Fee payable if case not pursued at client's request.