One of the biggest perils of the modern workplace is the threat of suffering from a Repetitive Strain Injury, or RSI. They can be both significantly painful and extremely complicated in terms of treatment and rehabilitation.
In terms of accidents at work, whilst they may not have the shocking immediacy of a trip or fall, or the obvious danger of a construction site accident, they are both common and problematic.
Typically, RSIs are caused by the repeated use of certain muscle groups over a prolonged period of time. A classic example is workers who spend a lot of time typing on computers often experience problems and difficulties in their hands and fingers.
RSIs usually affect muscles, tendons and ligaments, as opposed to bones. The fact that it is soft tissue that is damaged is what makes treatment difficult and often time-consuming.
Some treatment options include:
– A course of painkillers, usually anti-inflammatory ones such as ibuprofen.
– Hot and cold packs
– Steroid injections to reduce inflammation in the affected area (often used in the case of carpal tunnel syndrome)
Another method that is often effective in relieving the symptoms of an RSI is massage. Whilst serious treatment techniques should always be advised by a medical professional, a little bit of self help can go a long way towards easing the pain.
Massaging the affected area yourself is just one way in which you can help yourself. The benefits of a massage on an RSI include:
– Boosting circulation which helps rid the body of poisonous toxins as well as reduce the swelling
– Reducing the pain brought about by tension within the muscles.
– Promoting and enhancing the healthy regeneration of tissue previously damaged by the RSI.
– Stretching and relaxing tight muscles, thus increasing their range of motion.
– Improving the state of the scar tissue which in turn decreases the likelihood of re-tearing occurring.
The effects of massage can be further enhanced by stretching and a range of other exercises. However, it is always best to seek the advice of a medical professional before attempting treatment.
RSI’s are just one example of the threat posed by suffering injuries at work. If you are hurt as the result of an accident that wasn’t your fault, then Accident Advice Helpline can lead you to the work accident compensation you deserve.
As a law firm with over 13 years experience in work injury claims, they know exactly what it takes. To discuss your claim for work accident compensation with a member of their expert team dial 0800 689 0500 now.