How much could you claim?

Find out in 30 seconds...
Injured in the last 3 years?
Was the accident your fault?
Did you recieve medical attention?
Please tell us where you were injured
  • Please enter your full name
  • Please enter a valid name
  • Please enter your telephone number
  • Please enter a valid telephone number
  • Please read our Terms & Conditions

    "If you've been injured through no fault of your own you could be entitled to compensation. If you're unsure if you could claim, I recommend you call Accident Advice Helpline."

    Esther Rantzen

    Health and Safety News

    Tradesmen fined over illegal gas boiler work

    By Jonathan Brown on March 14, 2015

    Tradesmen fined over illegal gas boiler work

    Magistrates have fined two tradesmen after residents in High Wycombe were put in danger by an illegally installed gas boiler.

    One of the homeowners asked Aylesbury firm Quality Building Services, which is run by 47-year-old Anthony Shaw, to build an extension on his High Wycombe home in October 2012, the town’s magistrates’ court heard on Wednesday.

    Not Gas Safe registered

    A boiler needed to be moved from an airing cupboard to the extension and Mr Shaw suggested 33-year-old Darren Bridgen could do it – but he did not check that Mr Bridgen was on the Gas Safe Register, the court was told.

    The magistrates heard the homeowner was to pay Mr Shaw for the work and in turn he would pay Mr Bridgen, who carried out the work on the boiler in early October before the extension was finished in July 2013.

    When the local council inspected the work on the extension, the owner of the property was told he needed another certificate for the boiler now it had been moved but Mr Bridgen told Mr Shaw that his Gas Safe registration had elapsed.

    ‘Immediately dangerous’

    The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) launched an investigation after a Gas Safe engineer inspected the boiler and said he considered it to be ‘immediately dangerous’.

    When he did the work Mr Bridgen was not registered with Gas Safe and Mr Shaw had not made sure that the work on the boiler was done by a registered engineer, the HSE told the court.

    Both men admitted breaching the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998.

    Anthony Shaw, from Oakfield Road, Aylesbury, was ordered to pay a fine of £2,000 and a further £550 and £120 in costs and a victim surcharge respectively.

    Darren Bridgen, lives in Hawthorne Close in Aylesbury. He was fined £1,300 and must also pay £550 in costs and a £120 victim surcharge.

    Source: Health and Safety Executive

    Share On

       

    Accident Advice Helpline (or AAH) is a trading style of Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited. Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with registration number 07931918, VAT 142 8192 16, registered office Dempster Building, Atlantic Way, Brunswick Business Park, Liverpool, L3 4UU and is an approved Alternative Business Structure authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

    Disclaimer: This website contains content contributed by third parties, therefore any opinions, comments or other information expressed on this site that do not relate to the business of AAHDL or its associated companies should be understood as neither being held or endorsed by this business.

    No-Win No-Fee: *Subject to insurance costs. Fee payable if case not pursued at client's request.