Did you realise there were possible dangers of using a gym? Most people don’t, and in reality most people will never experience any problems at all, whatever gym they might be using. However, if you are one of the unfortunate ones who has had an accident or injury while using the gym, it could have occurred in one of the following ways.
Potential hazards to be aware of
- Faulty equipment. All gym equipment must be checked regularly to ensure it is suitable for use and poses no danger to anyone in the gym who might need to use it. If something is faulty it should be removed from use and mended or disposed of and replaced.
- Poor maintenance. This has been covered by the point above, but a lack of regular maintenance makes it more likely a piece of equipment will become faulty in the first place.
- No instruction given or available. If you are using a piece of equipment for the first time, you should be able to get some instructions on how to use it in the proper manner. If you don’t, and you end up having an accident, this could constitute negligence.
- Slips, trips and falls. These are common incidents that can happen in all kinds of places. However, as you will see, they are also likely to occur at a gym if the condition of the surroundings gives rise to it happening. For instance, spillages, trip hazards and other hazards can all lead to slips, trips and falls – many of which could be completely avoided.
- Incorrect instruction given. While trainers at the gym will be qualified in giving personal instruction, there have been rare instances where people have followed instructions, only to end up with an injury of some kind. If negligence can be proved in such a case, compensation may be due.
What should you do?
If you have experienced the potential dangers of using a gym, you may have been left with an injury. Even if it has healed, you still have a chance to make a no win, no fee* claim if it occurred within the last few years. Don’t delay – get in touch with Accident Advice Helpline now. Our free enquiry line is open on 0800 689 0500, and the sooner you call, the quicker you will get to the answers you require.
Date Published: April 19, 2016
Author: Allison Whitehead
Category: Gym accident claim