Multi-storey car parks can provide ample parking for hundreds of vehicles. Normally they are quite safe to use, but occasionally there can be dangers of multi-storey car parks that you may not be aware of. Here we discover what some of them are.
Identifying the possible risk areas
- Trips and falls. Uneven surfaces and changes in the level of the ground that are virtually impossible to see can lead to trips and falls occurring. These in turn can result in some unpleasant injuries.
- Collisions. Wherever there are cars, there is a potential for collisions to occur. However, these are mostly avoidable in a car park thanks to the low speeds and the one-way direction of traffic.
- Collisions between cars and pedestrians. Those who leave their cars will head for the lift or stairs in order to access the shops, or whatever else they wish to see. There should be clear space for pedestrians to walk safely so they do not get injured or struck by cars.
- Poor signage. One of the potential dangers of multi-storey car parks is a lack of signage. People must be able to see which way the traffic is going, and where they should go to reach other floors or to reach the exit. If this is not the case, the chances of a collision become greater.
- Falls. These car parks are spread over several levels. As such, there should be barriers around the edges and between any drops that could send a person tumbling from one floor to another. It is rare for a fall to occur, but the potential risk factor is present and should be attended to.
Finding out whether you can claim for injuries suffered in a car park
If your injuries were not your fault, it is still vital to be able to provide proof of negligence to indicate someone else was at fault. This isn’t always easy to work out, which is why we would encourage you to contact Accident Advice Helpline today on 0800 689 0500. When you do this, you can speak with an advisor and we can determine whether one of our lawyers could represent you in a court case. We operate on a no win, no fee* basis, meaning you at never at financial risk. Call us today and find out if you can claim.
Date Published: April 19, 2016
Author: Allison Whitehead
Category: Car accident claims