Bicycle couriers have a responsible job – to deliver goods from A to B, quickly and efficiently. A more eco-friendly way of working than being a van courier, bike couriers are especially common in major cities such as London. But the dangers of being a bicycle courier could put you at risk of being injured in an accident at work. We take a look at some of those dangers.
Injured due to other people’s negligence
- Hit by a dangerous driver. You could be knocked off your bike by a dangerous driver who fails to check for cyclists. Because you’ve got less protection on a bike than you would in a car, you’re more likely to suffer serious injuries such as head/brain injuries, broken bones or crush injuries.
- Hit by a reversing driver in a car park. You don’t even need to be on the open road to be hit by another vehicle. You may be loading up your bike to set off when you’re hit by a car reversing in the car park.
- Eye injuries. Unless you wear a face mask or eye protection, you could suffer from dust, grit or even debris in your eyes if you’re spending all day cycling on busy roads.
- Crush injuries. If you’re involved in an accident with a couple of other vehicles, you could suffer serious crush injuries if you’re trapped underneath one of the other cars or vans. Crush injuries could include broken ribs or even a punctured lung.
- Respiratory conditions such as asthma and allergies, from continued exposure to pollution.
Should you claim compensation?
If you’ve been hit by another vehicle or affected by the dangers of being a bicycle courier, it may be fair to say that the accident wasn’t your fault. You may have escaped with cuts and bruises, or perhaps you’ve suffered a life-changing head injury which means you’re unable to return to work and provide for your family. Nobody should have to suffer after an accident which was somebody else’s fault, so let us help you get the compensation you’re entitled to. Just call Accident Advice Helpline on 0800 689 0500 today, or within three years of your accident, and find out if you have a viable claim.
If you’d rather find out right now how much compensation you could claim, you can take the 30-second test on our website before calling to speak to one of our expert advisors.