When people think of traffic accidents they generally think of two vehicles crashing into each other. It is easy to forget that pedestrians can get injured in road accidents especially in town and city centres. If you are a pedestrian and you are injured and it wasn’t your fault then it may be possible to make a pedestrian accident claim.
Factors behind a pedestrian accident claim
You may be able to make a claim if:
- A vehicle does not properly stop at a pedestrian crossing when required to do so
- A vehicle does not stop at the traffic lights and hits a pedestrian as they cross
- A cyclist knocks over and injures you while riding on the pavement (which is illegal!)
- A driver doesn’t take care when reversing and knocks into you
- It can be proven that the driver is speeding in a residential area and knocks you over thus making them liable for not taking due care and attention.
It is also important to remember that someone driving a vehicle will have a seatbelt and other protection. Unless you are psychic it is unlikely that a pedestrian will have the same level of protection so it is likely that injuries will be more severe and require more treatment.
Injuries that can occur include broken bones due to a collision, crushed facial features due to a vehicle reversing and also the mental and emotional distress that can occur after the more severe accidents and injuries.
How to make a claim
- Get the details of everyone involved – including the driver and police officer on the scene
- Take photos – Useful evidence when making any claim. If you have a smart phone you ought to be able to take photos with it
- Contact the police as soon as possible to report the incident
- Depending on the extent of your injuries either visit A & E or your doctor to get the medical attention you need as well as getting a report on any injuries you have sustained to prove the claim is genuine
- Keep receipts so you can prove the costs involved when making a claim
Why you should contact a professional
A lot of people contact their insurer as soon as an accident occurs. However it is worth contacting Accident Advice Helpline as we have the experience to deal with a range of claims – over 13 years to be exact!Open Claim Calculator
We have a team of experienced professionals on hand to answer your calls and deal with your claim. We are also endorsed by Esther Rantzen, someone who has been rightly lauded for her commitment to consumer rights.
Contact us today to find out more about how we can benefit you and help you get the compensation you deserve. All you need to do is dial 0800 689 0500 to speak to an adviser.